The Assessment Capacities project (ACAPS), established in 2009, is dedicated to enabling humanitarians to better understand crises in order to be able to take better decisions. We work in collaboration across the humanitarian sector and beyond to provide an evolving platform of:
- Independent analysis to support evidence-based decision making for humanitarian operations.
- Deployment of experts to support assessments and analysis in crisis.
- Capacity development of humanitarian actors to carry out better needs assessments and analysis.
- Innovative approaches to collect more reliable and timely data and conduct rigorous analysis.
Following initial support to the INGO Forum in August 2015, ACAPS deployed to Nigeria in June 2016 at the request of the INGO Forum to undertake a secondary data review and compile an Assessment Registry and subsequently in September to facilitate a participatory scenario-building exercise.
ACAPS proposes to continue to produce regular Briefing Notes informed by information collected both remotely (from Geneva) and in-country. For that purpose, ACAPS is seeking an Information Analyst who will be tasked with regular information collection for ACAPS.
The Information Analyst reports to the ACAPS Operations Manager in Geneva and to NRC in Maiduguri.
Purpose of the position
Information Analyst will be tasked with liaising with key stakeholders in Nigeria to collect information on humanitarian needs, gaps and other information relevant to the situation in Nigeria. The information that will be collected will be used to inform weekly production of Global Emergency Overview (GEO) and regularly produced Briefing Notes on Nigeria. The position will be hosted with the Norwegian Refugee Council.
Roles and responsibilities
- Develop and maintain a strong network of humanitarian partners and other stakeholders working on the response in Nigeria to:
- Support coordination of efforts on building a more comprehensive picture of the situation
- Develop, promote and contribute to a more comprehensive picture of the situation
- Improve exchange of information, identify information needs, and access primary and secondary data source
- Promote joint approaches and information sharing for needs and situation analyses
- Collect and analyse data
- Identify further organisations/opportunities for collaboration on analysis
- Participate in operational meetings to collect information on humanitarian situation in Nigeria. Regularly produced meeting notes will be shared with ACAPS in Geneva, as a way providing the information.
- Collect information and reports from bilateral meetings with humanitarian stakeholders, including from the UN, INGOs, Red Cross, NGOs and other sources
- Review the draft reports produced by ACAPS team in Geneva, ensuring accuracy of information and analysis and that all issues of relevance was incorporated in these products.
- Contribute to the joint analysis and the production of high quality ACAPS analytical products.
- Support information resources management; collect, gather and store information in the project filing system (Dropbox...), filling in project-specific database, and maintains an archive of all documents and data collected.
- Prioritise the focus of the search for information identified as greatest gaps, in coordination with team members in Geneva
- Coordinate with other team members, ensuring information sharing, task division and planning of products.
- Liaise with sectorial experts, ensures that information needs are covered and if the adequate analysis and accuracy of the data
- Other activities as requested.
- Closely coordination and collaboration with ACAPS analysis team in Geneva
- Coordination with ACAPS communications team
- Initiates and develops relationships with humanitarian agencies including INGO and UN operational agencies.
Generic professional competencies:
- Relevant university degree or equivalent experience, preferably in disaster management, social sciences or international development.
- At least 2 years of experience in the humanitarian sector.
- Solid understanding of the principles of emergency preparedness, response and early recovery.
- Experience of collecting and collating secondary data.
- Proven ability to produce high quality written reports based on secondary data.
- Experience of carrying out interviews with key informants.
- Proven interpersonal skills.
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri languages (minimum)
- Knowledge of standard ICT office support tools including spreadsheets, word-processing and presentation software.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Familiarity with the crisis-affected areas and populations is an advantage.
- Knowledge and understanding of the institutional mandates of IASC agencies.
- Listening and creating dialoguePlanning and delivering results
- Adhering to Principles and Values; high standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Handling insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of ACAPS / the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
- Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate can submit their application letter, updated CV and copy of a valid means of National Identification (Passport, Driver’s License, National Identity Card or Voter’s card) using the apply now form. The title of the position you apply for (Information Analyst – Maiduguri, Nigeria) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
- Deadline for application is 23rd September 2016 (late applications will not be considered).
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that to apply at ACAPS is FREE!!!
- ACAPS does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
ACAPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer,
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.