Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Requisition: SVN 2016/94 (P) - Field Security Officer (P3) - Maiduguri, Nigeria (54856117) Released
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and the Head of Sub Office in Maiduguri, and the technical supervision of the Regional Field Security Officer (RFSO) for Central and West Africa, and in close collaboration with the Head of the Staff Security Unit (SSU) at Headquarters (HQs), and the programme managers at IOM Maiduguri, the successful candidate will oversee the security and safety matters directly or indirectly related to all IOM personnel and assets under the specific circumstances provided by the security situation in Maiduguri.
- S/he will supervise the mission’s security unit and in coordination with the RFSO, plan, coordinate and implement appropriate safety and security management procedures that will effectively address staff safety and the protection of IOM assets, while ensuring secure and safe IOM operations in Maiduguri.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the HoSO, the CoM and the RFSO, assist in the development and implementation of a sound security strategy for IOM Maiduguri.
- Assist in creating an enabling environment to ensure the orderly functioning of the Mission's programmes in close coordination with the Government, UNDSS, UN agencies and NGOs.
- Provide accurate and up to date assessments of the fluid and unpredictable security situation in Borno state and advise the CoM on how to mitigate against identified threats and risks.
- Develop, introduce and provide staff training on relevant safety and security management procedures related to the safety and security of IOM staff and the protection of IOM assets, partners and beneficiaries, including development and maintenance of a functioning warden system.
- In coordination with the RFSO, provide safety/security briefings for IOM staff deployed to and travelling within Nigeria and to Maiduguri, and coordinate all travel security for the Mission relating to all IOM operations, including assessments of road, air and river transport networks, medical evacuations and international staff travel within and from/to Borno state.
- Under the guidance of the RFSO, periodically review and monitor Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) and Residential Security Measures (RSM) and compliance therewith at all IOM offices and staff residence in Maiduguri, respectively, and assist in conducting security assessments at IOM sub office (SO).
- Prepare periodic informative, assessment related and statistical reports, briefings, background summaries and statistical analysis as directed by the HoSO, CoM and RFSO including the development, implementation and maintenance of the mission’s Business Continuity Plan (BCP) the security emergency plan (including fire security plan) and assist in the annual ‘BCP & Security Emergency table top’ exercises.
- When directed by the HoSO/the CoM, attend Area Security Management Team (ASMT) meetings. Ensure that there is an IOM security representative at all security cell meetings. Conduct duty travel inside and outside Nigeria as may be necessary and/or directed by the HoSO, the CoM or RFSO.
- Oversee and maintain the IOM Nigeria vehicle fleet movement tracking system to ensure safe and secure movement of all mission vehicles including trucks, and take effective measures to respond to unauthorised movements. (Oversee the adequate assignment, operation and sécurisation of the mission’s armoured vehicles (AVs), including the selection, training, supervision and monitoring of national and international AV drivers.)
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Law Enforcement, Security Management, Disaster Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Equivalent studies in the National Armed or Security forces of country of residence.
- Experience in security management, law enforcement, migrant processing and emergency response at an international level;
- Comprehensive understanding of the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) and exhibit the ability to work with UNDSS in the field;
- Experience working with transport providers;
- Experience in refugee migration related issues, project development and in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
- Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a high degree of rational behaviour and decision making at all times irrespective of the gravity of the security environment;
- Familiarity with the Nigerian context and previous working experience in the region an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Haoussa is an advantage.
- Accountability -takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation - works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning - promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication - listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative - actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation - develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management - identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork - contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Interested and qualified? Go to International Organization for Migration - IOM career website on recruit.iom.int to apply