IITA is an international non-profit Research-for-Development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs in sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 Internationally recruited Scientists from about 35 countries and 900 Nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
IITA, together with other partners, have developed a novel biological product ‘Aflasafe’ that has proven capacity to reduce aflatoxin contamination of food and feed in sub-Saharan Africa. Aflatoxin is a poison produced by a fungus that infects maize and groundnuts, which are common foods in Nigeria and other parts of Africa. IITA, USDA-ARS, Doreo Partners and AATF are working in a team to develop and implement strategies to make Aflasafe commercially available to Nigerian and other African farmers.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable candidates for the position of Research Administrative Manager at the Institute’s Headquarters in Ibadan.
(2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will:
- Plan, coordinate and supervise all laboratory-based activities related to aflatoxin biocontrol in Ibadan (sample processing, staff organization, supply management).
- Assist in managing projects by ensuring that all deliverables are on track and flag corrective actions when necessary.
- Plan, prepare draft and finalize research protocols in consultation with scientists.
- Ensure quality of laboratory and, where needed, field experiments.
- Responsible for maintaining database of all research results.
- Assist in training of students, staff and national program personnel.
- Assist with monitoring of expenditure in relation to budget in consultation with the project Administration unit and the Pathology Secretary.
- Responsible for the development of a cataloguing system for samples and isolates.
- Collect, analyze and interpret data and prepare reports in a timely manner.
- Work with non-governmental organizations and community based organizations to disseminate technologies for disease management, particularly for aflatoxin biocontrol.
- Liaise with private sector partners, farmer organization, extension services and NGOs to create public-private partnerships for linking farmers using aflatoxin management practices (including AflaSafe) to value-added markets.
- Prepare promotional material, draft popular articles for web-based knowledge, dissemination, update new IITA Aflasafe website with relevant materials.
- Assist in preparation of manuscripts and grant proposals.
- Assist in preparation of technical reports for submission to donors.
- Help in liaising with collaborators internally within IITA and externally in other organizations.
- Assist in the recruitment of the right quality of personnel in consultation with the Human Resources Unit for position in the unit.
- Responsible for the management of project documents in consultation with scientists and administrative units.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualification and Experience:
- MSc degree in Plant Pathology/Microbiology/ Environmental Technology/Biochemistry/ Molecular Biology or other related science discipline.
- At least 5 years working experience, of which three years in a managerial role.
- At least 3 years experience in a research laboratory dealing with microbiological or chemical analysis.
- Strong interpersonal relationship and has good communication skills.
- Experience systematically following up on project deliverables.
- Excellent and proven management, organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to build and work in teams.
- Experience with working with private sector, government and non-governmental organizations.
- Prepared to travel whenever required
- Willingness and ability to work long and irregular hours if required
Applicants must have high integrity, be honest and possess good interpersonal and communication skills.
He/she must also be able to work under pressure and on weekends when necessary.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae, the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work. Evidence of current remuneration package and photocopies of credentials, to IITA website.
Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/nrs-online-application. An application should be made not later than two weeks (closing date: 25/12/12) from the date of this publication.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.