The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than twenty five countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
The Protection Manager will have the overall responsibility of leading, coordinating and implementing DRC protection activities in North East Nigeria and support a consistent integration of a rights- based approach into all DRC’s program activities in Nigeria. The Protection Manager will play a central role in building relationships with key humanitarian partners and donors in securing funding to expand DRC’s protection programs in Nigeria. He/She will be directly supervised by the Country Director East Nigeria.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Strategy & Design;
- Develop, coordinate, plan, implement, monitor and report on DRC’s Protection Program interventions in North East Nigeria in camp and off camp conflict-affected IDPs and Host Communities, as per International best practice standards
- Conduct needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction as well as identify risks and vulnerabilities, including those related to gender, age and diversity
- Develop concrete community based initiatives to reduce these risks and specific strategies to build upon assets within the population
- Assess protection needs and identify problems/gaps and propose/prioritize timely practical actions to respond to particular protection problems
- Lead the compilation and analysis of protection monitoring information for sharing with partners and donors
- Ensure that protection information is used effectively to advocate on important issues as well as longer term planning for target populations
- Ensure the delivery of Individual Protection Assistance packages to most vulnerable individuals
- Develop training materials on protection principles, protection monitoring, reporting and referrals for field based staff, including strengthening information and reporting systems.
- Ensure the mainstreaming of protection, child protection, women protection and community based protection components in the DRC Nigeria emergency response programmes according to DRC’s protection mainstreaming framework, international law and protection standards
- Work in close coordination with UNHCR and the Ministry of Women and Social Affairs at the State level and all relevant stakeholders to support the management of the Protection Working Group in Adamawa State in order to coordinate the humanitarian response to the needs of disaster/conflict-affected populations in Adamawa State.
- Building the capacity of the Government and other Protection Working Group members to create a stronger protection environment and to prepare for future emergency responses
Explore new business and partnerships and work closely with the Country Director / Program Coordinator to develop quality proposals, concept notes and budgets, ensuring that all new budgets accurately reflect program activities and required staffing levels.
Monitoring and Reporting
Responsible to ensure that Protection programs meet stated objectives within the timeframe, with specific attention to ensuring quality interventions.
Monitor financial spending and budgets for all protection projects in North East Nigeria
Ensure that quality assurance systems are developed and applied, with particular reference to the HAP Standard and Age Gender and Diversity throughout the program
Ensure that DRC Protection programmes are implemented in accordance with DRC standard regulations and operational procedures ( eg Code of Conduct, HAP Principles, DRC Assistance Framework, DRC Programme Handbook)
- Recruit, coach and mentor national protection staff
- Ensure the roll out of regular staff trainings and refresher sessions to maintain a high standard of capacity among the protection field teams in all areas.
- Set clear objectives for the protection team and do timely performance evaluations
Coordination & Representation
- Represent the DRC protection program at the Protection Sector Working Group meeting (PSWG), Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV), Child Protection Working Group (CPWG) and other relevant forums for protection advocacy.
- Participate in advocacy initiatives
- Coordinate with Government authorities, UN agencies, INGOs, local partners and other key stakeholders on the provision of protection services for IDPs and relevant contingency planning
- Work closely with other agencies to implement common protection standards in North East Nigeria and develop common strategies and responses, notably through supporting and participating in coordination meetings
- Promote improved understanding of protection issues among all relevant stakeholders and ensure the observance of international protection and humanitarian law standards
- Coordinate with the Country Director to forge connections with key government agencies
Represent DRC Protection in high level and strategic meetings involving protection actors, UN agencies and the Government
Daily aware and involved in the security situation and insure the communication with the programs staff and Safety Advisor;
Responsible to understand and able to implement the security rules
- Professional background in protection of internally displaced persons and/or refugees, as well as human rights law in general (masters level or equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years of protection work experience in the field of Law or Protection, particularly within the field of migrant/IDP protection, with experience in complex emergencies
- Proven track-record in understanding International Law and Humanitarian Principles
- Proven experience with implementation of operations in very insecure environments
- Experience with emergency protection monitoring, documentation & analysis of protection data, protection training and advocacy, child protection and set up of community protection networks
- Experience in project management, including donor relations and staff supervision
- Demonstrated aptitude in project design, management and implementation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with different stakeholders
- Strong coordination and advocacy skills
- Strong, creative problem-solving skills
- Flexibility to work in a diverse multicultural team with due respect for diverse culture and norms
- Proven ability to live and work in an unstable, insecure environment.
- Excellent professional written and oral English language skills
**Availability:**** July 2016
Duty station: Yola, Adamawa State, with frequent travel to Abuja and the field according to the needs Contract: One year with a possibility of extension, subject to funding.
Method of Application
To apply, visit DRC Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale