The Imo State Government of Nigeria established Imo Wonderlake Development Company limited (IWDC) to invest in Imo Wonderlake Hotel and Conference Centre Resort. This is a landmark investment that leverages the unique position Imo enjoys in the hospitality and tourism industry and enables a diversified economic base for the State. The Wonderlake project is envisioned to deliver a 5-star hotel complete with an international conference centre, golf and business resort, and is located around the famous Oguta Lake in eastern part of Nigeria.
As part of its start-up initiatives, the State Government intends to recruit a competent and suitably qualified professional to fill the position of a General Manager in the IWDC.
Reporting to the Board of IWDC, the successful candidate will have overall responsibility for providing strategic leadership, vision and direction to the Company to maximise results and optimise its competitive strengths in the Nigerian Tourism sector. He/ She will coordinate and oversee both the business and operational activities in the Company, including hospitality and leisure services. Specifically, the candidate will:
• Develop strategies towards building a world-class business resort and landmark investment in Nigeria's hospitality industry.
• Co-ordinate the day-to-day operational activities of the Company and formulate policies that are geared towards promoting hospitality and tourism in the State.
• Identify, develop and direct the implementation of the Company's business strategy and define the critical success factors.
• Drive the development of annual operating plans including business plans, operational requirements, staffing and budgets within the framework set by the Company's corporate mission, strategic plan and policies.
• Coordinate and ensure seamless and optimal integration of operational strategies in line with its resources (human, material, financial and information) to achieve the Company's overall objectives.
• Act as the Company's Chief Marketing Officer and brand icon, growing sales, projecting the brand and ensuring that major initiatives of the Company consistently reinforce and promote the corporate brand value and identity.
• Take full responsibility and ownership of the Company's P&L, and monitor key financial objectives and performance metrics.
• Review and authorize key expenditures/transactions of the Company in line with approved budget and the Company's manual of authority. Direct public relations activities, communications and education plans involving hospitality and tourism issues.
• Communicate and network regularly with advisors, intermediaries, media agencies, prospective business partners and international transaction teams to ensure efficient running of daily business.
• Develop business opportunities and coordinate the creation of beautification sites, leisure centres and other activities to boost hospitality and tourism.
• Liaise with relevant regulatory authorities, NGOs, Government bodies and other organisations to aid the realisation of the Company's goals and acquisition of relevant contractual documents.
Qualifications, experience and attributes
• A first degree in any relevant discipline from a reputable institution.
• Higher degree(s) in Marketing, Finance, Economics or Business Administration (e.g. MBA) will be an advantage.
• Minimum of twelve (12) years' post-qualification experience, some of which must have been spent in a senior management position preferably in an international or multinational organization.
• Experience within the tourism or hospitality industry and experience in managing resort centres will be a distinct advantage,
• Good understanding of finance, strategic management and marketing.
• Strong business management and entrepreneurial skills.
• Experience in partnership building and maintenance at national, regional and local levels, proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of groups and individuals.
• Good leadership and people management skills to motivate and coordinate teams.
• Excellent understanding of the local and global hospitality industry.
• Good understanding of key regulatory issues and familiarity with Health, Safety and Environment management.
• Proven track record in achieving results in an environment that is challenging and sometimes unpredictable.
• Good presentation, negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills.
Method Of Application
To apply, please quote ES00552 as the subject of your e-mail and send your current curriculum vitae (prepared as a word document, and saved with your full names), a statement of how you meet our selection criteria, and the names and contact details (including telephone and e-mail addresses) of three referees who are knowledgeable about your professional achievements and abilities to us at email@example.com not later than 8 March. 2011.
All applications will be treated in confidence. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.