Consulting Vacancy at Christian Aid
Posted on: 20 May, 2016
Deadline: 27 May, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Christian Aid
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based International NGO partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country Programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance and Gender. We are looking for a dynamic and motivated person for the position of Finance Officer for a 3 month maternity Cover.
- Nigeria is one of a total of 44 countries who have signed the Economists’ Declaration on Universal Health Coverage (UHC) the declaration demands that every world leader increases spending on universal health coverage for their people. This was ahead of the global leader’s preparation to enact the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for the next 15 years that includes universal health coverage among its targets.
- One of the models through which this can be delivered is community health insurance. In taking this forward, Christian Aid UK, Nigeria commissioned a scoping study on community health insurance to examine the feasibility of supporting the roll out of a community health insurance scheme and also conducted an assessment of primary health care facilities in selected communities across 4 states and the FCT. This was done to help inform stakeholders planning and resourcing of PHCs for CHIS towards achieving UHC one state at a time.
- CA believes that to achieve universal health coverage, advocating for CHIS and the passage of the Primary Health Care Under One Roof (PHCUOR) legislation which meets NPHCDA (National Primary Health Care Development Agency) standards must be prioritized which guarantees free maternal and child health care at the point of use; and National health act (2014) to improve health services.
- The organization also believes that the government is best placed to achieve this with the support of civil society organizations and other stakeholders. Christian Aid in partnership with five community-based partners and advocacy networks intends to use the content of the National Health Act (NHAct), findings of the CHIS and PHC assessment to advocate for UHC in the FCT, Benue and Plateau States.
- A national level technical health advocacy partner is therefore necessary to engage and support key government agencies, and support CSOs/CBOs at state level. In view of this, Christian Aid is requesting expert organizations and/or firms to express interest in facilitating the attainment of the following objectives.
- To strengthen programme partners capacity to take forward the National Health Act 2014 and findings of the CHIS and PHC Assessment at state and LG levels.
- To provide technical support in strengthening existing/or emerging health advocacy network in the states on NHAct, PHCUOR, campaign/movement organizing and budget influencing among others in Plateau, Benue and the FCT.
- Train and mentor programme partners on health budget and policy analysis for advocacy as well as developing advocacy briefs.
- Develop an accountability mechanism/system for tracking and reporting health advocacy outcomes at state and national levels.
- To support CA in national level evidence based health advocacy.
- Training, coaching and mentoring of programme partners and advocacy groups
- Desk review/research
- Advocacy materials such as advocacy/policy briefs and IEC materials based on PHC assessment findings, health budget allocations and the NHAct 2014
- Advocacy strategy/action plan developed for each state advocacy group.
- Advocacy strategy developed for Christian Aid’s community health programme
Applying organizations/firms are expected to have at least 10 years cognate experience and the following expertise:
- Excellent understanding of Nigeria’s health system
- Understanding and experience working with/advocating for Health sector reform (including PHCUOR, CHIS and the implementation of the National Health Act (2014) either as on organization or strategic and influencing member of a coalition/network of CSOs in Nigeria.
- Skills and expertise in Health policy and budget analysis.
- Strengthening of CBOs and CBO networks policy and advocacy capacity.
- Experience in gender integration in health advocacy programmes will be an added advantage
- The work is estimated to be for 5 months with phased activities. Activity based funding will be adopted. Date of commencement is envisaged to be mid-June 2016.
- Joint applications are encouraged
- Sub-contracting of components of the assignment is also allowed.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit an expression of interest with organizational profile, evidence of similar work and at least two references to: email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Christian AidSimilar Jobs
- Programme Officer at Apostles in the MarketPlace (AiMP)
- Drivers at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
- Fresh Jobs at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Epidemiologists/Health Information Management at the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Consultants at The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Latest Vacancies at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Project Manager/Country Representatives at the International Volunteer Service for Development
- Shelter Coordinators at The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) - 2 Positions