If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Marie Stopes International Organisation Nigeria (MSION) is a results-orientated non-Governmental organisation that believes that women and men have the right to choose when they have children. MSION is part of Marie Stopes International Global Partnership which operates in 42 countries and is one of the largest non-Governmental provider of family planning in the world.
Working with Government of Nigeria and in partnership with other organisations, MSION provides family planning and other reproductive healthcare clinical services in under-served communities. Our goal is to improve access to family planning and related reproductive health services enabling individuals to have children by choice not chance. Sustainability rests in the delivery of commercially viable and funded work linked to national policy priorities. MSION has four strategic areas of intervention:
- Provision of FP and PAC services through MSION outreach programmes reaching the under-served
- Franchising a network of small scale private health care outlets under the Blue Star Brand providing FP and PAC
- The profitable marketing and sale of products related to FP and PAC
- Training and supervision to support increased FP and PAC services by public sector
About our team
MSION currently has a team of 70 staff which is set to rise to over 100 in the coming year (2017). All Marie Stopes staff share the same values, namely: mission driven, customer focused, results oriented, pioneering, sustainable and people-centred
About this role
MSION has 2 clinic Locations in Lagos, Surulere and Okokomaiko Area in Lagos, each of them located in residential areas, the clinic is one of MSION's drive to reach and serve women of reproductive age.
The Description of the proposed clinic is to serve and meet all emotional fulfillment of those that visit. The sense of fulfillment is what is required at the end of every visit.
This role is a consultancy role that requires the employee to provide basic Cost estimates, Cost and Building schedule for the remodeling of these structures as will be described in the MoU to be signed with the Consultant.
Job Title: Building and Quantity surveyor - Consultant
Reporting to: Director Technical Services
Duration of contract: 7 days
Probationary period: N/A
Key duties in relation to the responsibilities:
The Quantity Surveyor will provide capital cost estimates and hard facility operating costs (e.g.
Construction, implementation, maintenance, energy and capital replacement, including but not limited to clinical, Janitorial, landscape) for the life cycle of the proposed new / remodeled facility. Accuracy of the estimates will be appropriate to the level of information available. The Quantity Surveyor will be expected to justify unit rates by comparison to similar recent projects and provide an opinion on cost escalation. In addition, if the Quantity Surveyor can provide operating cost information, it will be useful in developing the business case. In detail, the scope of services is as follows:
- Provide an initial estimate for the cost of the facility based on concept plan information using comparable unit rates from similar facilities. The estimate should be suitable for use as a check on the project budget.
- Prepare a total project cost estimate to support the project’s business case. This estimate will approximate a “Class C” estimate and is expected to be accurate within +/- 15%. It will be based on an indicative design and functional program.
- Develop a life cycle analysis for the proposed building elements, typically over a 30 year period.
- Attend the risk workshops and provide inputs and ongoing support for the project’s risk analysis.
- Provide assistance as required in development of the RFP performance specifications for the project and attend team meetings.
- Provide input into the assessment of the construction timeline for the Project and estimated time for completion.
- Assist in identifying project costs for each of the proposed procurement options.
- Provide an Excel version of both the capital cost estimate and life cycle cost estimate
- Provide advice and input as required in evaluating proposals received from the Project RFP process.
- During the design and construction phase, Quantity Surveyor services will be primarily to provide advice on the cost of changes as required.
- Develop a business case
- Design and share a Development or Cost Schedule
The following is required:
- Understand the Duties of a Quantity Surveyor
- Understanding contractor Quantity Surveying
- Post 5 years’ experience working as a QS or BQS
- Registered Member of NIQS or Registered Builder or COREN
- Ability to seal all estimates
- Company must be registered
- Strong organizational abilities that enable you to manage your workload, follow through on objectives and meet deadlines
- Proven communications, presentation and negotiation skills. You must be able to “sell” the services that MSION offers in a way that attracts support and report clearly and without prejudice on outcomes
Successful performance at MSION is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. There are 13 key behaviours that MSION expects in all employees. Performance is measured against these. They are defined below
- Initiative: Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
- Innovative: Thinking creatively so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
- Effective Communication: Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
- Team Player: Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
- Responsive Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
- Working Efficiently: Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
- Sharing Information: Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
- Focus on Learning: Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
- Commitment: Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
- Driven: Drive and determination to deliver results
- Regular reporting will indicate ability to conceive, design and deliver on results
- Accountable: Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
- Embracing Change: Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Method of Application
Interested candidates should apply by email with CV and suitability statement as a single attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Thursday 26th May 2016. MSION is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to achieving gender balance within the organization. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. The subject of the email should be the POSITION TITLE/LOCATION and the CV/Suitability statement should be saved in the applicant’s full name. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.