GE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and curing the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com
- The Legal Counsel for Africa (the Region) will have responsibility for providing legal advice on all aspects of the operations and initiatives of GE Healthcare (the Business) in the Region, as well as supporting the Business' Senior Legal Counsel in structuring and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts with the Business' key customers (both government authorities and private customers) throughout the Region.
- The position will report to the Region's Senior Legal Counsel.
- Working with the Business’ commercial teams for the Region as a business partner to help identify opportunities to drive business forward and support growth opportunities and initiatives
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating business agreements and transactions
- Providing regulatory and compliance advice in conjunction with the Regulatory and Compliance specialist areas in GE, in particular in relation to healthcare compliance and healthcare regulatory matters in conjunction with the Region’s Senior Legal Counsel, managing outside counsel, when brought in to assist
- In conjunction with the Region’s Senior Legal Counsel (and other business counsel, as applicable), managing / supporting the management of disputes and litigation Supporting the development and maintenance of a strong culture of compliance including supporting Compliance projects, including e.g. support to the compliance specialists on forums such as the Compliance Review Board
- Applying combined business and legal judgment to proposed deals, relationships and other issues requiring legal or compliance attention
- Conducting impactful training to the Business’ commercial and other teams in relation to legal, regulatory and compliance matters
- Assisting on matters of corporate housekeeping such as related to powers of attorney, shareholders meetings and shareholding structures
- In conjunction with the Region’s Senior Legal Counsel, managing relationships with government authorities as and when needed e.g. in relation to corporate and business licenses, health authorities, Ministries of Health
- Provide specialist advice on matters of local law across the Region, in particular on public procurement laws, competition laws, privacy laws, civil and commercial codes and integrity laws (anti-bribery and anti-corruption), anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing laws
- Reviewing equipment sales and service contract in accordance with the Business’ policies and procedures
- Assist in developing standardized, commercial models/contracts and ensuring systematic use by the commercial teams
- Gather facts, carry out legal analysis and advise business partners on potential litigation risks
- Support, as and when applicable, the Business and the Region in relation to internal audits, external audits and follow up items resulting from such audits;
- Support GE’s specialist on the screening and on-boarding of third party vendors / suppliers / partners, including by way of conducting on-boarding interviews;
- Advising on matters of intellectual property, as and when applicable
- Support GE in the operation of its internal compliance program, in particular conducting investigations and preparing investigation reports with recommended and corrective action for closure by the region’s compliance leader and general counsel
- Supporting the Business on all aspects of distributor relationships with distributors across the Region, including the (yearly or bi-yearly) renewal of distribution agreements, the delivery of training to the management and employees of the Business’ distributors; the management of issues with and the termination of distributors
- Acting as a business partner, the Legal Counsel is expected to provide advice to the Business’ leaders on observed opportunities and commercial direction, as well as day to day legal issues.
- The Legal Counsel will also be responsible for assessing and mitigating risks in partnership with the Business’ commercial teams.
- JD (or equivalent) with active bar membership, preferably with a dual qualification including US or UK law.
- A minimum of 6 years of experience at a large, preferably international, law firm or multinational company’s corporate legal department working on a variety of commercial / business legal matters in the Region, including previous experience of drafting, negotiating and closing business / commercial transactions (i.e. purchase, sale and distribution agreements).
- Previous experience in identifying and resolving legal issues quickly and effectively and ability to make on the spot risk calls.
- Previous experience prioritizing conflicting demands from multiple business clients in an extremely fast paced environment.
- Ability to communicate (including drafting and negotiating) using English, with a preference for candidates who also have the ability to communicate in French and/or Portuguese and/or Arabic;
- Preference for candidates with experience across both civil and common law jurisdictions;
- Demonstrated rigor in identifying and resolving legal issues quickly; demonstrated experience in presenting legal recommendations and analysis in a clear, succinct and commercial manner; demonstrated ability to prioritize conflicting and urgent demands in a fast paced, fast moving environment
- Ability to travel
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Experience of the Healthcare industry and previous exposure to medical industry regulations
- Demonstrated experience providing legal advice in a highly regulated environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated teamwork skills
- Adaptable/Flexible: Being open to change in response to new information, different or unexpected circumstances, and/or to work in ambiguous situations
- Clear thinking: Simplifying strategy into specific actions with clear accountability, making decisions with speed and accuracy based on best available information, and communicating priorities clearly and concisely
- External focus: Understanding areas of law, regulations, risks, marketplace dynamics, industry trends, and the compliance landscape
Method of Application
To apply, visit GE Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.