Mobilising for Development (M4D) is a six-year DFID Nigeria handed Local Governance programme currently being implemented in 9 focal LGAs across 3 northern Nigeria states of Jigawa, Kaduna and Kano. The programme’s expected outcome is: 'Policy makers and service providers are more responsive and accountable to citizens' better articulated demands and entitlement, especially adolescent girls (AG) and people with disability (PWD). The programme works on both demand and supply-side governance reform: on the demand-side, it aims to strengthen citizens’ capacity to influence development, while on the supply-aide, it aims to support LGAs’ ability to respond to citizens demand, whether it is in the form of responding to policy changes or request for improved service delivery, suitable, qualified and candidate experienced candidates to fill the following positions.
The role of the Community Development Outreach Officer will be:
- Support the identification and engagement of wards, communities, and partner community based organizations and organizations of people with disabilities with whom M4D will work and build strong relationships
- Facilitate the generation of community needs which will be incorporated into the LGA Development Plan
- Support capacity building activities for partner CROs (Including Girls Platforms and PWDs) including mentoring them
- Support the delivery of grants by the CBOs
- Support the identification and engagement of relevant policy makers and service providers at LGA level and develop strong working relationships with them
- Support capacity assessment and development of the capacity of relevant supply-side actors
- Support and promote engagement with demand-aide actors
- Support the delivery of grants by the policy making bodies (LGAs)
- Support the identification of potential new and better-fit approaches that can be developed and piloted at local level
- Support specific innovative projects of M4D within LGAs
- Support the generation of data and general information at LGA level
- Map and engage relevant stakeholders both formal and informal and maintain strong networks across demand- supply lines
- Act as local representatives of M4D, both communicating the programme clearly and providing feedback into M4D
- Provide technical assistance as directed by the SPM and LGC
Qualifications and Experience
- The minimum qualification required is a diploma but degree is desirable and with at least 1 year of relevant working experience.
- More important are the skills and competencies as reflected in the details of the position in website.
- All CDOOs will be stationed in the respective state LGA assigned and would be line managed by the total Governance Coordinator (LGC).
go to method of application »
Reporting to the State Programme Manager land bated in Kano), the LGC will provide the key interface and support for the programme at local level. Working across the three focal Local Governments, the role will assist in:
- Supporting the State Programme Manager (SPM) to deliver all the programmes outputs towards accomplishing the programme’s outcome in all the 5 focal LGA is the state
- Strengthening communities, CBOs and excluded groups to engage with service providers and policy makers for improved service delivery and accountability
- Supporting local policymakers and service providers to enhance their capacity to deliver services effectively and be more accountable to citizens
- Supporting the SPM in engaging with other initiatives in the state - such as the DEID funded State Level Programmes (SLPs) and other appropriate state Government initiatives.
- Supervising, supporting and mentoring community Development and Outreach Officers (CDOOs) based in each focal local government area-experience of managing others is required.
- Working with programme’s crosscutters in delivering the programme’s outputs towards achieve the programme’s mission in the focal LGAs and in the state
- Providing technical support to partner CBOs and LGAs in qualifying for M4D grants and effectively and efficiently implementing the grants awards
- Contributing to periodic programmes quarterly, annual and end-of programme reports,
- Performing any other function as maybe assigned by his/her SPM
- The candidate will have a strong grasp of development processes, research and data gathering competencies as well as a good Understanding of inequality and social exclusion as well as an ability to contribute to monitoring and evaluation.
- The successful applicants will be educated to degree level in a relevant discipline and have at least three years post- graduation experience.
- The candidate should have strong networking skills, very good report-writing skills, and excellent written and spoken English skills and be very proficient in Hausa language as well.
- S/her will demonstrate a good understanding of local governance and working at the total Government level. Based in Kano, the roles will travel frequently to the LGAs, especially the focal WAs and also outside the state as necessary.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications (stating clearly the position applied for) must consist of a cover letter, a two-page capability statement (addressing the criteria set out above) and an up-to-date CV This should be addressed to the Team Leader, M4D and submitted via e-mail to email@example.com
- Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated with.
- Interviews will be conducted the same week with successful candidates assuming their roles as soon as possible thereafter.
- Given M4D's focus on marginalized groups, applications from women and people living with disabilities are especially encouraged.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.