If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
Ref Number: DDG-R4D/PDF/M/04/16
Job type: Contract (2 Years)
The primary Responsibilities of the Postdoctoral Position will include:
- Conduct marker-assisted recurrent selection to increase the concentration of pro-vitamin A and other cartotenoids.
- Involve in the development and testing of new pro-vitamin A enriched maize varieties and hybrids with defensive and adaptive traits.
- Assist in organizing and conducting pro-vitamin A enriched maize hybrid and variety regional trials in IITA’s testing sites and in multiple locations in collaboration with partners.
- Compile, process, analyze, and write regional trial reports.
- Run analyses of data recorded in multiple locations using appropriate software package, prepare reports and draft manuscripts for publication in scientific journals.
- Lead production of breeder seeds of parents of hybrids and synthetic varieties to supply to partners for further multiplication and deployment.
- Involve in organizing of training for stakeholders engaged in PVA maize seed production under the Building Nutritious Food Basket project.
- Work with HarvestPlus and CIP-Nigeria team in promotional activities on PVA maize.
- Work HarvestPlus and CIP-Nigeria team producers of PVA with processors.
- Assist in the preparation of project proposals for funding.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor as required.
- The candidate should have obtained a PhD in Plant Breeding with considerable field experience and working knowledge of molecular tools as well as analyses of QTL and association studies.
- Experience in planning and conducting field trials using appropriate designs as well as collecting and analyzing experimental data with relevant statistical software required.
- A proven track record in publishing research results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Fluency in English and knowledge of a second language such as French would be an advantage.
- Good inter-personal skills and ability to work with multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Initial appointment is for a period of two-years with a possible extension to the third year.
- IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their Covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Click here to apply online
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women.