The MRC Unit, The Gambia is the Medical Research Council's establishment conducting laboratory, field based and clinical research in a developing country. The Unit aims to improve the health of people in developing countries by contributing to the development, testing and safe adoption of interventions aimed at reducing the burden of morbidity and mortality from infectious diseases
Job Title: Data Manager (MRC Fajara)
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment as a Data Manager based at MRC Fajara. The post-holder will work closely with the database development team to ensure that the study databases meet the data collection needs of studies. S/he will develop, organise and implement quality control and cleaning processes of databases that require extensive liaison and tactful communication with field personnel as well as with other senior staff.
The appointment is for 3 years.
WE SEEK SOMEONE WITH:
- BSc or equivalent in computing, data management or a related subject.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in Data Management in a senior role.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Good working knowledge of database management software (MS Access essential and SQL Server preferred).
- Systematic approach and attention to detail.
- Experience in training and supervising staff.
- A good understanding of SQL.
- The ability to deal accurately and efficiently with a large volume of data.
- The ability to conduct study activities according to the protocols.
- The ability to work co-operatively in a team.
- Understanding of the confidential nature of the work.
Although not essential, an MSc in computing, data management or a related subject would be an advantage.
Salary will be in Occupational Group D3/E1 dependent on qualifications and experience.
We cannot accept applications from people who are currently, or in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
Method of Application
If you are interested and feel you have the qualities, skills and experience we are looking for, then please contact the Human Resources Office to obtain a Standard MRC Application form and copy of the Job Description. Completed application forms together with photocopies of qualifications should be sent to:
Human Resources Office;
Vacancy for: Data Manager (MRC Fajara)
MRC Unit, Fajara
P. O. Box 273
Telephone: 4495442–6 & 4494072-9
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 5th October 2012.
MRC is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.