IHS Towers is the largest independent mobile telecommunications infrastructure provider in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Founded in 2001, IHS provides services across the full tower value chain – including tower sharing and colocation on owned towers, managed services, deployment and site ownership. Additionally, IHS oversees all aspects of telecommunication network construction; ranging from site acquisition and design, equipment supply, electromechanical installation, integration and testing. Today IHS Towers has operations in Nigeria, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Zambia and Rwanda. Following the recent acquisitions of MTN and Etisalat’s tower portfolios in Nigeria, IHS owns over 23,300 towers in Africa. IHS maintains a depth of technical and industry knowledge that is unparalleled in the current market place and has a 14 year track record owning and managing long term relationships with international telecom operators such as MTN, Etisalat, Orange and Airtel. IHS is backed by a strong group of international shareholders including Emerging Capital Partners, the International Finance Corporation (IFC), Wendel, the Korean Investment Corporation, Goldman Sachs, Investec, the IFC’s Global Infrastructure Fund and the Dutch development finance institution FMO. IHS is a dedicated investor in green projects, funding innovation and efficiency improvements to drive towards a diesel free network.
The successful applicant will be responsible for helping IHS Nigeria make progress in its commitment to become a more sustainable and socially responsible company. This position makes recommendations, and helps to execute strategies that enhance the company's approach to all social responsibility issues, including sustainability, governance, community involvement, and charitable giving.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of society and the positive effects CSR (Corporate Social Responsbility) can have on the external environment. Knowledge of how CSR influences stakeholder relations, and how CSR fits into the wider strategic business context, and company brand, are essential.
The successful applicant must have experience of managing a CSR budget, along side Community Relations experience.
- Serve as internal expert and external representative on CSR issues.
- Benchmark competition and industry best practices.
- Build effective relationships with the management team and advise on development of initiatives that further IHS' CSR commitment, and champion them within their departments.
- Design CSR plans and work with relevant internal stakeholders to implement them, whilst managing and tracking goals and metrics.
- Manage the CSR reporting process, working with other departments especially Technology and CR to collect social and environmental data.
- Take primary responsibility for maintaining internal and external CSR web portals.
- Participate in CSR membership organizations and attend conferences.
- Work on special CSR projects in coordination with other departments, such as investment strategy, philanthropy, public policy advocacy, and wellness.
- Identify and implement sponsorships with nonprofit and other organizations to demonstrate commitment externally.
- Manage external consultants, and interns, as needed.
- Develop a comprehensive annual sustainability plan in connection with representatives of related departments covering energy use, waste reduction, carbon footprint, employee involvement, and external leadership.
- Secure employee engagement in environmental programs, including maintaining an intranet portal, developing incentive programs, planning and executing inperson events, delivering presentations, and supporting local advocates.
- Work with external communications (and other) parties to pursue appropriate public relations, marketing, recognition and awards to validate IHS's CSR efforts.
- Coordinate volunteer activities and events, drumming up support and persuading employee participation.
- Ability to influence senior management and peers, build business cases to tie social responsibility to core business strategy, and lead cross-functional teams.
- Expertise in social and environmental responsibility, community involvement, and communications.
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical skills.
- Good communicator with ability to make public presentations and create effective written and web content.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with senior executives and grassroots employees.
- Creativity and resourcefulness in developing and executing engagement plans, communications campaigns, and community events.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Business insight and commercial awareness.
- Adaptability and empathy.
- Strong leader and team player – also ‘self-starters’.
- Integrity and open minded.
- Persuasive and self-confident presenters, able to sell in business cases.
- Understanding of different educational, human rights and sustainability issues.
- Influential, with political and environmental awareness.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, visit the post on LinkedIn