Jobs at Heartland Alliance International (HAI)
Posted on: 16 February, 2016
Deadline: 29 February, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Heartland Alliance
Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is the newest and fastest growing part of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in the United States for more than 125 years. HAI is comprised of a dozen country offices implementing programs on a broad range of global human rights issues. HAI is making significant investments in its programming in the fields of trauma-informed mental health care and access In justice for marginalized populations.
HAI is also an industry leader in ensuring access to stigma-free health care. HAl’s programs deliver high quality prevention and treatment services, and take action in response to human rights violations. HAI does this while building the capacity of local providers.
- Heartland Alliance International (HAl) is seeking an experienced and highly qualified consultant to assess the mental health and social service needs of survivors of gender based violence (GBV) in Northeast Nigeria as well as the capacity of local institutions to provide them with necessary services.
- In addition to possessing extensive knowledge about the mental health and social service needs of survivors of gender based violence and other trauma, the ideal candidate will have profound knowledge of the cultural and sociopolitical context of Northeast Nigeria.
- (S)he will be able and willing to travel and work extensively for several weeks within Northeast Nigeria, including in insecure and/or conflict.affected areas.
- The consultant will be deployed to Borno and/or Adamawa States to gather qualitative arid quantitative information about existing. mental health arid social service infrastructure, the conditions and social service needs of GBV survivors in the area and their interest and ability to access services.
- The consultant is expected to complete a polished and comprehensive report on her or his findings within four weeks of completing the assessment.
Scope of Work
- Become familiar with HAl’s existing programming in Nigeria and wordwide. particularly for survivors of trafficking and gender-based violence
- Meet and liaise with local, state and national government agencies, civil society organizations engaging in medical treatment, mental health, and social/legal service provision for GBV survivors and other survivors of violence in Borno and Adamawa States, and nationally
- Develop a comprehensive list of mental health and social legal service providers and wonien’s rights advocates in the area and assess the relevance of services to the greatest extensiveness’ole
- Gather and consolidate information on any existing procedures, and referral mechanisms for GBV survivors and survivors of trafficking in Bomo State
- Identify any mental health and social service gaps as well as any barriers to accessing existing services by GBV survivors and/or other vulnerable groups
- Gather reliable estimates as to the number and location of survivors of trafficking, GBV and other forms or violence in Borno and Adamawa States, and factors that facilitated or hampered their resilience.
- Trained mental health, legal or social services professional with a minimum of five years of demonstrated experience working on GBV management and women’s empowerment
- Experience working with local, state, and national government and civil society
- Familiarity with concepts around trafficking in persons
- Comfortable traveling and working in a low-resource and potentially insecure environment.
- Good knowledge of the political and geographical environment
- Expertise in research and evaluation
- Familiarity with mental health service provision
- Experience in gender based violence management
- Strong English language writing skills are required
- Fluency in Hausa and/or Kanuri strongly preferred
- Stmng commitment to human rights and gender equity, with cross cultural experience and cultural sensitivity required
go to method of application »
About the Project
- With support from the U.S. Department of State’s Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons (J/TIP), HAI is implementing Project, Shelter and Heal, a two year project to improve comprehensive services for survivors of trafficking in Northeast Nigeria.
- This innovative project build on HAI’s extensive experience providing integrated services for survivors of trafficking, by developing technical training models that can be adopted and replicated to contexts in other countries.
- The project will expand existing coordination efforts among national and state governments, and create identification and referral networks to respond to the needs of survivors.
- This full-time position is based in Abuja, Nigeria with frequent travel to Borno and Adamawa States and any other project locations.
- The Project Coordinator provides coordination and support to HAl’s Protect, Shelter & Heal initiative in Northeast Nigeria, reporting to the New York-based Project Director.
- The incumbent will represent HAl in coordination mechanisms in Abua and Northeast Nigeria, liaising on a regular basis with consultants and local partner organizations including national sod stale government agencies and civil society organizations.
- A driven and passionate professional hoping to join an inspiring, dynamic team ol human rights workers.
- Innovative, hard-working, and a team player, the candidate has experience working with marginalized and vulnerable communities in challenging environments to provide high quality social, legal and/or health services.
- The ideal candidate will be fluent in English, with additional Hausa and/or Kanuri language skills. Exceptional proficiency in English writing is a requirement for this position.
- A background in trauma informed mental health, social work and/or legal protection is extremely desirable.
- We are looking for outstanding professionals who have a demonstrated passion for human rights work.
Candidates who meet the criteria below are strongly encouraged to apply:
- A graduate degree in Clinical Psychology, Social Work, Law or a related field.
- At least two years of experience and strong technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas; Social Work, Mental Health, Clinical Psychology, Protection from gender-based Violence (GBV) and Social Justice Programming
- Superb English writing and speaking skills.
- Highly advanced Hausa or Kanuri language skills.
- Extensive knowledge of Nigerian government systems, history, and local context.
- Sensitivity toward, and demonstrated commitment to advancing human rights for vulnerable Co marginalized communities.
- Excellent cross-cultural skills and motivation to succeed in resource-limited environments.
- Ability to meet deadlines, excel under pressure, and work independently
- Proven experience working in partnership with government, NGOs and other civil society organizations, network and grassroots movements.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation, research, concept paper and/or academic publish background
- Willingness and ability to travel and work in insecure environment in Nigeria with up to 35% travel.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their CV/Resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your full name and the position for which you are applying In the email subject line.
- Candidates must be available for immediate employment,
- Please do NOT contact the listed email address with other enquiries
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Heartland AllianceSimilar Jobs
- Job Opportunities at Solidarités International
- Administrative, Finance and HR Coordinators at Solidarites International
- Project Manager-STEER at Save the Children Nigeria
- Local Government Coordinators at Creative Associates International
- Latest Jobs at Winrock International
- Incident Manager at World Health Organization (WHO)
- Latest Jobs at Creative Associates International
- Fresh Vacancies at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)