Job Vacancy at International Potato Center (CIP)
Posted on: 3 February, 2016
Deadline: 14 February, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at International Potato Center
International Potato Center (CIP) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on genetic resources of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other Andean roots and tubers, crop genetic enhancement and improvement, integrated crop management and sustainable management of natural resources.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on behalf of The International Potato Center seeks suitable candidates for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation Officer. The candidate selected for this position will be based in Abuja and will work under the supervision of the Sweet potato for Health and Wealth project leader in Nigeria. The employment will be for a period of one year with a possibility of renewal subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
The Building Nutritious Food Baskets (BNFB) project:
- This three-year project funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, seeks to reduce hidden hunger by catalyzing sustainable investment for the utilization of biofortified crops (vitamin A cassava, vitamin A maize, vitamin A sweetpotato and iron rich beans) at scale.
- The project will be implemented in Nigeria and Tanzania, to demonstrate how multiple biofortified crops can be scaled up together at country level.
- The project is led by CIP and is implemented by a consortium partnership of six core partners - the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), the International Potato Center (CIP), the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), HarvestPlus and the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA).
- CIP is seeking the services of an experienced Senior Country Coordinator for Nigeria who will work closely with the Project Manager to implement project activities in close collaboration with national partners.
- Close liaison with national implementing partners is required to ensure demand for seed is synchronized with the seed supply chain.
- The employment contract will be for a 3 year term (with a 3 month probation period).
- This is an nationally recruited position (NRS) based in Abuja, Nigeria, with extensive local travel to support project activities in the country and occasional regional travel.
- This position reports to the Project Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working closely with the Project Manager, coordinate the implementation of project activities in the country;
- Support the situation analysis consultant and implement the national advocacy strategy;
- Coordinate policy engagement and investment activities on biofortified crops at national level;
- In collaboration with the Regional Advocacy Advisor, identify advocacy priorities and approaches in Nigeria in line with the project’s advocacy strategy;
- Support the Communications and Training Specialist, the Regional Advocacy Advisor and the technical team in producing relevant advocacy / promotion / behavior change communication materials and gender responsive and culturally appropriate nutrition messages;
- Work closely with advocates, champions, key policy makers, and on-going initiatives to influence the formulation of favourable policies, strategies and plans and operationalization of existing policies on biofortification at national and regional level;
- Establish and maintain relevant linkages with national advocacy fori / existing multi-sectoral nutrition programmes, bilateral donors, and civil society and initiate establishment / strengthening of a national multi-sectoral advocacy platform that links agriculture, nutrition and health;
- Spearhead the establishment / strengthening of thematic technical and policy platforms on biofortified crops;
- Ensure key policymakers are informed about biofortification and support the efforts of the BNFB project;
- Work closely with the technical team and national implementing partners and coordinate capacity building and seed systems activities that strengthen capacities of government agencies, private sector, NGOs and CBOs to invest in biofortification;
- Support the Communications and Training Specialist with planning training events;
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation Specialist to monitor the work of BNFB in the country for quality control and documenting processes and lessons learned;
- Assist in analysing the implementation of progress, data collection and timely reporting to the Project Manager; and
- Supervise nationally recruited staff, financial and operations matters of the project at country as per CIP policies.
- Master's degree in Agriculture, Horticulture, Economics, Nutrition, Development or Social Science degree;
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Experience in networking, alliance building and previous advocacy experience;
- Experience working in a challenging and fast paced environment;
- At least 7 years’ experience as a project / program manager for a large-scale agricultural advocacy/development project;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate staff into a cohesive team and proven record in effectively managing multidisciplinary partnerships;
- Demonstrated awareness and responsiveness to gender and social issues in cross-cultural and gender integration programming;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required;
- knowledge of one or two local languages of Nigeria preferred;
- Willingness to travel frequently.
Method of Application
Apply by clicking the preferred job title below:
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about International Potato CenterSimilar Jobs
- Site Study Coordinator Research at Health Initiatives for Safety and Stability in Africa (HIFASS)
- Fresh Job Opportunities at Oxfam
- Medical Supervisor at Médecins du Monde (MdM)
- Consultants at the Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Watchman at Solidarités International
- Audit Roles at Society for Family Health (SFH)
- Latest Vacancies at Malaria Consortium
- Country Programme Manager at the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)