Fresh Vacancies at African Development Bank (AfDB)
Posted on: 2 February, 2016
Deadline: 22 February, 2016
View Jobs in Banking / Financial Services
View Jobs posted same day
African Development Bank (AfDB) established to strengthen dialogue between the Bank and the Government, is recruiting to fill the below position:
- The mission of the Energy, Environment and Climate Change Department (ONEC) is to spearhead the Bank Group's energy operations in Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
- It helps address climate change and environmental issues by incorporating them into Bank Group-supported operations and giving them the visibility required.
- The ONEC Department includes two energy divisions and a third division which is responsible for climate change and environmental issues.
- The main objective of the North, West and Central Africa Energy Division (ONEC.1) is to build on the Bank’s sector skills and strengthen its capacity to become the leader in strategy, development, financing and implementation of energy projects and programmes in North, West and Central Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Principal Electrical Engineer will be under the general supervision of the Division Manager for North, West and Central Africa Energy Sector (ONEC.1). He/she will cover primarily the following countries: The Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. He/she will have the following key duties / responsibilities:
- Lead the identification, preparation, appraisal and supervision of energy projects and programmes;
- Perform sector analysis and diagnosis that will help in developing Country Strategy Papers (CSPs);
- Conduct analytical studies of the energy sector’s status in RMCs to identify constraints, challenges and priorities of the countries, and to provide guidance to Management on actions that can sustainably generate quality results for Bank-financed programmes / projects;
- Contribute to the preparation of Country Strategy Papers (in line with national policy and strategy as well as Bank policy on the energy sector), with special focus on the development of the energy sector;
- Contribute to the mid-term review of the Bank's strategies and energy sector portfolio reviews;
- Monitor the implementation of Bank recommendations at the end of supervision missions, mid-term reviews, portfolio reviews and financial audits of energy programmes / projects;
- Review evaluation reports of technical and financial tenders for the award of contracts for Bank-financed programmes / projects in the energy sector;
- Represent the Bank in conferences, seminars and national and regional workshops, participate in fora and consultation meetings or technical and financial partners coordination in the energy sector, and report to the ONEC.1 Division Manager;
- Contribute to sector dialogue with governments on planning, governance, reforms and policy in the energy sector;
- Help in the strengthening of coordination and dialogue with other donors on activities related to energy projects / programmes;
- Provide advice and guidance to officials of programme/project implementing agencies on sectoral issues and national priorities as well as on the Bank's guidelines on financial management and procurement of goods, works and services;
- Support stakeholders in the timely implementation of Bank loans / grants in the energy sector of RMCs;
- Support country and implementing agency officials in the implementation of procurement plans and loan/grant disbursements made by the Bank for the financing of energy sector programmes / projects;
- Participate in the preparation of policy statements, articles, information kits, and various reports on issues related to the energy sector and other related areas; and
- Undertake any other activity that may be assigned by the ONEC.1 Division Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A minimum of a Master's degree or its equivalent in Electro-mechanical, Electrical Engineering or a related field;
- A minimum of six (6) years relevant professional experience in (i) planning, design, construction, supervision and maintenance of energy infrastructure; and (ii) procurement;
- Relevant professional experience in project management and financing in the public sector and development finance institutions;
- Proven ability to build and lead a team of professional staff and to utilize talent and expertise of team members;
- Sound knowledge of project cycle and project implementation principles;
- Proven ability to interact with staff of power utilities and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination as well as with the private sector;
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a team of professionals (lawyer, environmentalist, procurement specialist and financial management expert, financial analyst, economist, etc.), and use the talents and expertise of team members in a productive manner;
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present ideas and gain support as well as the ability to make effective and timely decisions;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, MS Projects);
- Ability/willingness to easily familiarize himself/herself with various Bank tools such as SAP;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French with a working knowledge of the other.
go to method of application »
- The Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (IACD)is responsible for:
- Developing preventive measures to proactively reduce the potential for misconduct, fraud or corruption within Bank Group financed operations.
- Conducting investigations into allegations of fraud and corruption and other sanctionable practices in Bank financed operations.
- Conducting investigations into allegations of fraud, corruption and misconduct involving Bank Group Staff with regard to Bank operations, corporate procurement, or administrative budgets, and the misuse of Bank resources.
- In this context, the Integrity and Prevention Division (IACD.1) of the Department shall maintain the highest standard of professional proficiency and integrity; and shall be guided by ethos of confidentiality and due diligence. To achieve its mandate, the Division is directly supervised by the Manager, IACD.1, who reports to the Director, IACD, and shall be empowered to:
- Develop and implement tools and proactive measures, including campaigns and outreach programs, to train and assist operational staff and other partners of the Bank Group, in order to proactively reduce integrity violations, misconduct, fraud or corruption within Bank Group-financed Operations; Conduct fraud and corruption awareness and publicity programs in Regional Member Countries (RMCs) as well as relevant training of Bank’s employees and external partners.
- Develop and maintain knowledge management database and information sharing network for best practices and lessons learned in integrity, prevention, detection and investigations of misconduct; Provide expert advice to management and field offices on significant integrity concerns and assess whether the potential risk is acceptable to the Bank Group, in accordance with the Bank Group’s procedures and guidelines.
- Develop tools to enhance due diligence practices and recommendation of measures or institutional reforms to close loopholes in order to ensure compliance with Bank Group policies and applicable international conventions; Develop and maintain risk assessment strategies and processes to strengthen and reduce vulnerability; In consultation with the Investigations Division (IACD.2), design tests to help disclose the existence of fraud, corruption or abuse; Provide policy support in the review and development of the department’s (IACD) internal procedures and manuals, including management of sanctions and cross-debarment issues, maintenance of IACD database of sanctioned and cross-debarred entities.
- Assess compliance with conditions for non-debarment and release from debarment in line with imposed sanctions. In consultation with the Investigations Division (IACD.2), provide support for maintenance of IACD’s record management system and in sanctions and cross-debarment activities. Also, in consultation with the Investigations Division (IACD.2), prepare key performance indicators, work plans, progress reports, and the department’s annual reports.
- Monitor and report regularly to the Director, on planned activities and programs developed for prevention work, as well as performance of any other tasks as instructed by the Director in consultation with the Investigations Division (IACD.2); review transactions or investigations to ensure that operations financed by the Bank Group comply with Bank Group policies and applicable international conventions.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Division Manager, IACD.1, the Principal Integrity Officer shall carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Leading the implementation of Integrity Due Diligence policy (Review of documentation, engaging with other departments).
- Developing tools to enhance due diligence practices and make recommendations for measures or institutional reforms to close loopholes and ensure compliance with Bank Group policies and applicable international conventions.
- Monitoring and Assessing the Integrity Compliance Program of entities debarred by the AfDB for fraud, corruption and other sanctionable practices.
- Assisting in the reviewing of Bank anti-corruption policies to ensure that it is in line with current industry policies.
- Assisting in the mainstreaming of anti-corruption in bank policy documents.
- Preparing power point presentations and other related materials for meetings and training programmes.
- Assisting in the development innovative training tools and case studies for training.
- Engaging operational staff on findings of Integrity Due Diligence reviews.
- Detecting integrity risks in the Bank through the analysis of information collected from all available resources, including conducting media analysis of fraud and corruption in bank financed activities in regional member countries.
- Developing and maintaining risk assessment strategies and processes to strengthen and reduce vulnerability.
- Establishing a Bank-wide view of fraud by aggregating fraud types from investigation reports into a single environment and analyzing them to provide relevant recommendations for fraud prevention.
- Data mining and analyzing Bank Group’s databases and information for preventive and investigative work of the department.
- Analyzing the media landscape to create a database of media reportage on fraud and corruption for pro-active anti-corruption strategies for prevention and investigative work.
- Supporting the Bank’s broader efforts to enhance measures to combat fraud and corruption through sensitization and awareness activities.
- Enhancing external action in the fight against fraud and corruption by conducting fraud and corruption awareness and publicity programs in Regional Member Countries (RMCs) and the provision of relevant training of Bank’s employees in the field offices and with external partners.
- Collaborating in multilateral efforts to mitigate the risks of fraud or corruption in development activities.
- Assisting in the preparation of annual activity report on the activities of the Division and assist in its publication on the Bank’s website.
- Contributing to the Department’s Annual Integrity Reporting;
- Leading special initiatives/projects and undertake other ad hoc assignments upon demand.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Law, Social Sciences, Communication Studies, Business Administration, and Public Policy or any related field.
- A professional qualification in Certified Fraud Examination, Post Graduate in the area of governance, anti-fraud and anti-corruption work would be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 6 (six) years of extensive and progressive experience in a multi-lateral development financial institution, development organization, government, private or civil society sector at the regional and international level.
- Substantial professional experience in fraud / loss prevention work and statistical analytic tools.
- Strong time management and document management skills with fine attention to detail.
- Experience in working and living in Africa.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Strong and proven ability to write, present and report clearly.
- Excellent planning, organizational and analytical ability; attention to detail and ability to work independently and manage challenges.
- Integrity and strong interpersonal skills, with and proven ability to provide team leadership and to develop trust and demonstrate fairness.
- Competence in the use of the Bank’s standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to employees and management at all levels.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Method of Application
To apply, visit AfDB's Career Website
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
Portfolio Data Analyst at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
Principal Solution Development Officer at the African Development Bank (AfDB)
Entry-level Secretaries at a Leading Nigerian Bank - Workforce Group
Manager, Alliances & Partnerships at Mahindra Comviva
Latest Job Opportunities at the African Development Bank (AfDB)
Transaction Officer at Fosad Consulting
Consultant (Nigeria Livestock Micro Reforms in Agribusiness) at the World Bank Group
Latest Recruitment at African Development Bank (AfDB)