World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Objective of the programme
WHO Representative's Office supports the formulation, implementation and evaluation of National Health For All strategies; develops and manages the Organization's programme of technical co-operation at country level and coordinates the Organization's activities with those of other collaborators and with the Government's National Health Programme.
Organizational Context (Describe the work environment; the role of the individual within the team - team member, specialist, adviser, facilitator, coordinator/manager, representative, expert, authority in the field, etc; available guidelines and degree of independence in decision making; and nature and purpose of contact within and outside the Organization):
Provides technical support to the Programme Manager on policy issues and the development of strategic plans for the overall control of Malaria/Roll Back Malaria within the Ministry of Health's integrated disease control strategy I (starting with IMCI) and health sector development.
Facilitates consultations with partners and other stakeholders and building partnership for planning and resource mobilization for malaria control programme implementation; supports the development/adaptation of training materials and guidelines for malaria control.
Participates in the preparation and the organization of national and district training activities, and follow ups assessment of training and facilitators to ensure quality of training and performance.
Under the supervision of the WHO Representative, the technical guidance from MO/MAL and MAL Regional Adviser (AFRO), the incumbent will be expected to:
- Serves as WHO focal point for malaria prevention and control activities within the large context of RBM development in the country, and provides support to all relevant government departments and institutions.
- Provides technical support to the Ministry of Health to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate an effective prevention and control programme for Malaria within the context of Roll Back Malaria.
- Organizes training of health personnel in the various priority interventions ( case management, prevention, epidemiological surveillance, epidemics prevention, operational research, monitoring and evaluation ) and contributes to the strengthening of health care management at central, intermediate, district and local levels.
- Provides technical assistance to the Ministry of Health to develop/strengthen integrated surveillance and data management to improve the health care system and its preparedness and response to Malaria.
- Promotes operational research on various aspects of malaria prevention and control and assists the national officials in the development and implementation of such projects.
- Prepares monthly progress reports of activities completed.
- Performs other duties assigned by the WR
Requirement / Qualifications
- University degree in Medicine
- Postgraduate degree in Public Health or Epidemiology
Verification of Educational Qualifications:
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually
- Several years of practical experience in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating disease prevention and control activities.
- Experience in working with bilateral or multilateral organization in the country.
- Good knowledge and ability to use computer software for word processing, spreadsheets, Power point, and basic epidemiological statistical analysis
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply on WHO's Career Website
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale