Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Médecins Sans Frontières is recruiting for its project in Port Harcourt:
- Provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Know, promote, implement and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment .
- Organize and carry out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, as well as assist them during consultations/ daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Ensure patients are properly received and settled in the health service. Ensures that patients with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Respect medical secrecy and confidentiality of patients’ information.
- Carry-out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients meaning assessment of their health state evolution, and identification of emergency situation or any deterioration,
- Participate in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary
- Supervise and train nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision in their work with special focus in following all appropriate protocols and procedures and ensuring team work
- Participate in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients files, forms, consumptions, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover, and report any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep doctors/supervisors informed.
- For ER and OPD nurse, ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and referring them to the doctor.
- If applicable, identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and refer them to the medical team, so they can receive the necessary treatment.
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Sends material to be sterilized and follows it up for return from sterilization.
- Protecting patients from hazards within the wards by ensuring the wards are safe and clear of such hazards at all times.
Required Skills and Conditions
- Education: Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma
- Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s.
- Languages: English language is mandatory
- Competences: Able to work in an emergency situation
- Highly flexible with the working hours.
go to method of application »
- Implement Health Promotion/IEC activities with patients and local population to raise their knowledge and skills on relevant medical topics and available services.
- Inform patients and communities about MSF and services it provides.
- According to medical priorities, deliver information to the patients and community on specific health topics
- Implement activities of health education and awareness (sessions in schools, churches, community), under the indications and supervision of the MTL.
- Under the guide of MTL, assess the impact of activities (with questions, verifications and behaviors observations), and report problems, success and constraints to him/her.
- Collect all type of information related to specific health and living conditions of the population, in particular to identify the most vulnerable populations to target.
- Report to MTL: activities, problems met, strengths and constraints.
- Keep education and communication areas clean and tidy and professional materials available.
- Participate in creation of any material needed for the activities of information, education and communication.
- Liaise with Social Worker in regards to identifying target populations and outreach activities
- Share relevant information with Social Worker in regards to other NGO’s, social partners and governmental health services
- Liaises with Assistant PC for media and police related outreach activities
- Liaises with all team members (PC, MTL, Asst PC and Social Worker) regarding outreach activities with other NGOs, Government agencies and stakeholders
- Write monthly reports of activities including activities performed, planned activities, challenges encountered in conjunction with the clinic team
- This job description may be amended, depending on the evolution of work. In addition to the tasks mentioned above, the person may be required to perform other duties assigned by the Medical team leader or project coordinator according to the needs of the mission.
Required Skills and Conditions
- Education: Education level in social science, social communication, nurse or teaching required, medical background preferred
- Experience: Required previous experience in teaching, nursing or social work, community mobilization (at least two years). Medical experience preferred
- Languages: Local language (pidgin) essential, mission language essential, other local languages desired
- Knowledge: Computer literacy
Method of Application
Submit your CV, copies of qualifications and a cover letter with contact details to the MSF Administration Office at No. 20 Bodo Street. G.R.A Port Harcourt. Rivers State (“Application Box” at the Watchmen Desk). With reference (daily worker Nurse PHC or Outreach Officer PHC )
Applications can be submitted in person or by email to: email@example.com
Deadline for the submission of applications: 18th December 2015.
Please make sure to submit your application by this date.
NB: only successful applicants will be called for interview.
Notice: No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process. MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.