The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the following position:
Under the guidance of the Representative, the Programme Coordinator, Kaduna DO, designs, develops and manages an innovative and responsive decentralized office programme and as well as plays a leadership role for the UNDAF delivery as one programmes in Kaduna. S/he responds creatively to complex challenges and frequently changing demands in terms of a fluctuating resource base, multiple funding arrangements, and donor contacts and complex programme execution modalities. The Programme Coordinator, Kaduna DO advances the ICPD agenda within the context of UNDAF in a politically sensitive environment, responding to changing substantive priorities of government. The Programme Coordinator, Kaduna DO facilitates and coordinates RH programme officers and promotes partnership, synergy and strategic alliances within the UN system, counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral agencies as well as civil society organizations.
During the Country Programme cycle, s/he provides substantive inputs to project formulation, monitoring and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and development frameworks in states under the sub office. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UNFPA’s programmes and performs the role of administrative, financial and technical/programmatic coordinator of Sub Office.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Conducts substantive policy dialogue with Government counterparts and UN and other development partners to facilitate the incorporation of UNFPA’s programme priorities and ICPD agenda into national plans and strategies, UN systems initiatives and development frameworks (CCA, UNDAP. UNDAF, PRPs, SWAPs, CAPs, SDG).
- Translates global strategies into country specific advocacy strategies, creates and delivers effective evidence-based advocacy messages to promote UNFPA’s programme goals taking into account political and social sensitivities.
- Promotes a result based approach and integrates innovative policies and strategies into the design and formulation of country programmes, sub-programmes and projects based on strategic priorities and responsive to the countries’ needs in the areas of reproductive health, population and development and gender.
- Facilitates the achievement of programme results by identifying, providing and coordinating substantive and technical inputs into programme development and implementation, ensuring substantive monitoring and oversight and coordination and evaluating the inputs of consultants and technical experts.
- Promotes knowledge sharing and continuous learning, testing, linking and documenting innovative strategies, approaches, lessons learned and best practices inside and outside UNFPA and replicating these strategies and approaches. Ensures that programme staff integrate new substantive policies, methodologies and tools (RBM, gender concepts etc).
- Mobilizes co-financing resources for support to the country programme recommending a strategic approach and encouraging Country Office action. Assists the government and other executing agencies in the coordination of assistance for population programmes.
- Provides substantive technical support and coordination for the effective management of all RH outputs including development and implementation of result based workplans, project financial monitoring and budget management in ATLAS.
- Represents UNFPA in the geographic area, which covers 7 states with a population of 35 million, and in various fora as requested by the Representative on programmatic and technical issues.
- Facilitate the effective running of the DO, including efficient management and supervision of staff, finance and administrative matters in accordance with relevant UNFPA rules and procedures.
- Have oversight responsibility and is accountable for the appropriate use and management of DO resources and those provided for the programmes in the geographic area.
- In collaboration with the Country Office, provides a harmonized coordination support to UN Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and state’s national authorities through the establishment of a wider/appropriate consultation process to enhance coordination between state counterparts, development partners, thus strengthening the links between states counterparts and UN Agencies.
- Undertake any other assignments as may be required by the Representative in close connection with the main office.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in health, population, demography and/or other related social science field. PhD is an advantage.
- 7 years of professional experience, preferably in programme/project management in the public or private sector.
- Knowledge of the UN System will be an advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging internal/external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people/creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising sound judgment
- Conceptual innovation in the provision of technical expertise
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit UNFPA Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale