If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Girl Rising is a global campaign for girls’ education that uses story telling, including the Girl Rising feature film, to raise awareness about the power of educating girls to transform societies. The film tells the stories of nine girls from nine countries around the world and the formidable obstacles they overcome in pursuit of an education. Girl Rising storytelling makes the barriers that girls face to education personal- inspiring action among viewers.
The Girl Rising ENGAGE project in Kano is public-private partnership, which uses the film, translated and dubbed into Hausa as a central communications tool. The partnership brings together the best in public and private sector resources and know-how toward closing the gender gaps that persist in education and securing a better future for girls.
The project’s three main objectives include:
- Increase public attention, awareness, engagement and actions around the importance of equitable, quality education for all and the need to eliminate gender disparity in education. Accomplished primarily through a TV broadcast (potential radio as well), and a social marketing campaign.
- Mobilize and engage men, women, and school-aged youth through grassroots community initiatives to take action to address barriers and social norms impeding access to quality education for girls. Accomplished through collaborative partnership with NGOs working in communities in and around Kano.
- Motivate leaders, key stakeholders and other decision-makers to take concrete, positive action to eliminate barriers to girls’ education.
ENGAGE is recruiting a seasoned professional to serve as Country Manager based in Nigeria for an immediate start.
The ideal candidate will have a unique set of skills and experience including:
- Program management at the national and state level
- Design, implementation and evaluation of behavior change communications and social mobilization interventions;
- Vast knowledge and experience working with the Nigerian media and public relations (PR) organizations
- At least 8 years working on USAID funded programs or other international donors
- Familiarity with programs and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and community-based organizations (CBOs) involved in education and gender programming.
Scope of position:
The Nigerian Country Manager will lead the project’s activities in Nigeria. S/he will represent the project with key stakeholders, including the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission the relevant Government Ministries, leading education institutions, partner NGOs and corporations, high-level policy makers and key influencers in the country. This is a consultant position.
- Monitor implementation of ENGAGE, including establishing partnerships with television and media companies, identifying spokespersons and media personalities, and overseeing public relations activities developed by a local communication/PR agency.
- Identify partner organizations and venues for screenings of the Girl Rising film.
- Work with NGOs to adapt the Girl Rising materials and tools for use in community-level programs to support girls’ education.
- Develop and manage partnerships with NGOs working in education and the empowerment of women and girls.
- Manage and direct all monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Identify potential corporate partners that can support Girl Rising’s country activities.
- Spearhead advocacy efforts to include GR materials and tools in existing Government and donor programs.
- Work closely with broadcast partner and PR and marketing firm to ensure the success of the mass media campaign.
- Develop quarterly monitoring reports and other special reports to disseminate lessons learned and best practices.
- Contribute to work plan development.
- Support regular communication and reporting to USAID in Nigeria.
- Regular communication with the New York office.
The Country Manager will report directly to the ENGAGE Project Director and work closely with ENGAGE’s senior staff in New York and worldwide. S/he will coordinate with ENGAGE staff in New York for technical discussions, resource requests and/or technical materials as needed. The position will require regular travel to project areas in and around Kano, as well as to Abuja and Lagos as needed.
- A degree in communications, behavioral sciences, international development or other social sciences.
- Technical expertise in behavior change methodologies; advocacy; community engagement, and NGO management.
- Demonstrated experience implementing behavior change communication and social mobilization programs in Nigeria (minimum 10 years).
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Direct prior experience managing USAID-funded programs (essential).
- Strong project management, donor reporting and program planning skills.
- Financial management and budgeting experience.
- Project monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Experience working with broadcast, print or digital media.
- Sound understanding of gender and education issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Experience managing complex and diverse workload with proven ability to plan and prioritize effectively.
- Diplomacy and strong negotiation skills. Demonstrated ability to interact and work with government officials at all levels, national advocacy groups, corporate leaders and media professionals.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a global team.
- Ability to network with other organizations and global partners.
- Familiarity with the social and traditional context of Northern Nigeria
- Fluency in Hausa language is mandatory
- Familiarity with requirements of other bilateral, international and/or private donors.
- Grants management experience.
- Familiarity with current gender and education initiatives in Nigeria.
- Policy analysis experience.
- Familiarity with quantitative and/or qualitative evaluation methodologies.
- Understanding of Public-Private Partnerships or CSR programming efforts.
- Comfort working independently as a “one-man” or “one-woman” on the ground team.
Method of Application
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please send CV, cover letter, and 3 references to Nigeria@girlrising.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, however applications received before September 18th will be given first preference.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You will, however, receive an email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your online application.
10x10 LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Documentary Group, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applicants on the basis of merit regardless of their race, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or any other protected class under federal, state, and local law.