In 1965, Clark Abt expressed a single, noble goal—to create a world free of war and poverty. The visionary set to work establishing Abt Associates. Over the next half century, the company became known as a bold, innovative and effective agent of social change, committed to improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. Today, Abt Associates continues to be a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators
The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a Director of Finance and Administration for an upcoming USAID-funded health program in Nigeria. The program will focus on family planning, reproductive health, and maternal, new born, and child health in northern and southern Nigeria.
The Director of Finance and Administration, under the supervision of the Chief of Party, will have primary responsibility for financial and administrative management for the project; supervision and oversight of all financial and administrative support staff; and establishment of the systems, procedures, and training of staff required to ensure compliance with USAID regulations and local law. S/he will provide management support and oversight in the implementation of program activities in the areas of finance, human resources, administration, information technology and procurement at the project’s headquarters office and in several state offices.
- Implement financial and administrative policies and procedures that meet project needs, corporate and client requirements, and local laws.
- Ensure compliance to terms and references of the contract.
- Provide training to field staff on project procedures, including building skill-levels of project staff in the area of finance, administration, and project management.
- Create and maintain financial reporting and tracking systems providing data measurements on financial performance of project and project activities.
- Prepare budgets and revenue plans for project programming and corporate reporting.
- Provide on-going financial administration to project including approvals of purchase requisitions, consultant agreements, vendor invoices, and client invoices.
- Work with the COP to liaise with the client on finance and administrative issues.
- Participate in negotiations with client on contract issues and actions and follow up on client requests and concerns.
- Lead procurement efforts for the project, including the selection and negotiation with vendors, and the management of subcontractors on the project.
- Oversee grant awards, grant management, and grantee compliance.
- Develop and oversee systems for providing financial and administrative support to staff at the all levels.
- A Master’s Degree (preferred), in Business, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant field. Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required.
- At least 12 years of experience in a management position in the public or private sector, at least 5 years of which on USAID activities.
- Prior experience in Nigeria or Sub-Saharan Africa is preferred.
- Familiarity with Abt’s financial, accounting, and project management systems, policies, and procedures highly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and/or experience in accounting, financial planning and management, and procurement, and other management support areas, as required;
- Demonstrated skills, abilities, and experience to:
- Manage a program of similar magnitude and complexity, including those funded by USAID;
- Work collaboratively across technical disciplines;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Manage grants under a contract; and
- The ability to travel extensively to program location within Nigeria, as required.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale