eHealth Africa’s mission is to build stronger health systems through the design & implementation of data-driven solutions that respond to local needs and provide underserved communities with tools to lead healthier lives.
Summary: The Communications Officer supports the Communications Director to develop and implement short and long term communications strategies and plans for eHealth Africa’s (eHA) offices. This role serves the organizations goals, and helps drive a consistent brand and identity strategy across the different departments in eHA. S/he responds positively to a wide range of communication requests, and comes up with creative and practical ways to implement them. Coordinates requests and material coming from eHA’s other West Africa offices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works with the contracted social media agency to coordinate, gather and draft program information in an appropriate format from eHA’s country offices to be used on our social media channels and in our blogs.
- Manages and updates the communications forward look on a weekly basis and ensures country offices feed into the document.
- Drafts and edits documents including media advisories, press releases, briefing packs, talking points, power point presentations, one pagers and web and email communications for both internal and external audience.
- Plans, drafts and implements with the social media agency and eHA country communications leads the monthly eHA newsletter.
- Manages the production of eHA’s corporate documents including the annual report and adhoc documents as required.
- Assists and manages with steer from the Communications Director eHA corporate events for all country offices.
- Analyzes and measures the performance of eHA’s communications activities, including websites and social media.
- Assists the Communication Director with the production and commissioning of writers/graphic designers/ film makers and photographers for eHA publicity purposes.
- May travel between work sites.
- Performs any other duties assigned by management.
- Oversees and actively inform the content and processes related to eHA branding, values, organizational and strategic messaging.
- Advises staff on effectively communicating and engaging key audiences including local, national and international entities. Stays current in communications best practice.
- Presents complex ideas and anticipates potential objections. Clearly communicates any ramifications of decisions and issues to project stakeholders, and presents alternatives.
- Observes safety and security procedures.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Is consistently at work and on time and adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
- Bachelor’s degree in international affairs, public policy, journalism, communications or related field.
- 3-5 years’ experience in communications, public relations and/ or media outlets or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Experience of working on events and high level meetings.
- Must be able to work as a leader and member of a team and possess initiative and good problem solving skills.
- Creative thinker with the ability to identify innovative ways to communicate and engage audiences through a variety of avenues.
- Knowledge of website maintenance, social media, emerging media technologies, conferences and other speaking opportunities.
- Must have the ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
- Must possess strong organization and prioritization skills
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Windows Microsoft Publisher, and Microsoft Office Suite. Graphic designs software.
- Intermediate proficiency working with specialized software utilized in program.
- English is the spoken and written language.
- Ability to read, analyse, proof and edit documents, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and the general public.
- Expert knowledge of English. Intermediate knowledge of Krio is a plus.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to interpret data that is not well defined or documented and develop recommendations based on findings.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Why work with us?
Life at ehealth Africa means collaborating with dedicated professionals with a passion for technology. When we see something that could be improved, we get to work inventing the solution. Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships. We invest in our people and offer a series of programs that enables them to pursue a career that fulfills their potential. Our team members’ health and wellness is our priority as well as rewarding them for their hard work.