Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
This position is advertised by UNOPS on behalf of the Global Fund and the level and remuneration are based on the Global Fund’s applicable scales and policies.
The Global Fund is a 21st-century organization designed to accelerate the end of AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria as epidemics. As a partnership between governments, civil society, the private sector and people affected by the diseases, the Global Fund mobilizes and invests nearly US$4 billion a year to support programs run by local experts in more than 140 countries. By challenging barriers and embracing innovative approaches, we are working together to better serve people affected by the diseases.
In close collaboration with the Nigerian Ministry of Health’s National Products Supply Chain Management Programme (NPSCMP), we are embarking on an ambitious and innovative approach to the challenges across Nigeria’s supply chain.
Our Client is a consortium of International Health Projects Funding Agencies collaborating with the Federal Ministry of Health and Principal Recipients of the Global Fund in Nigeria.
The Consortium intends to support the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) Nigeria Supply Chain Integration Project Office in Abuja. In this regard, there is a need to fill key positions in the project office. Applications are hereby invited from interested and suitable qualified individuals.
The Project Accountant shall report to, and secure financial approvals from, the National Coordinator. The Project Accountant shall:
Perform any other work that may be assigned by the Project Managers and National Coordinator
- Effectively plan, manage, monitor, and forecast Financial Management Systems operations with clear structures, roles, and responsibilities.
- Own and implement a policy with clear procedures of zero tolerance for fraud, financial mismanagement and other forms of malpractice. Continuously review and assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the financial management policies, procedures and processes and identify improvement where necessary.
- Develop knowledge of staff to implement Financial Management System operations (PMO and Contractors) and periodically visit implementing partners (Contractors) and provide training and Technical Assistance in the areas of Finance and support contractors’ accountants and other staff to ensure Global Fund financial management standards are upheld.
- Work with users to prepare work plans and budgets/forecasts for the project and oversee monitoring of all budgets on a continuous basis. Ensure implementing partners (PMO and Contractors) have a clear work plan and budget, while ensuring the prompt preparation of regular and reliable financial statements and reports
- Accurately and promptly record all transactions, disbursements, and balances
- Manage the process of disbursing funds in a timely, transparent, and accountable manner
- Support management of vendor relationships, bill payment and invoices in a timely manner.
- Manage all project assets, ensuring satisfactory level of accountability and internal control at all times, maintain asset register, and ensure that insurance/policies on Assets are paid as and when due.
- Prepare necessary audit schedules including trial balance, details of fixed assets etc. for the conduct of the annual audits by the external auditors and Local Fund Agent (LFA). Furthermore, manage relationship with the Fiduciary Agents (FA).
- Lead in identifying areas for efficiency savings and re-allocation if necessary to ensure consistency with the targets
- Propose realistic and implementable measures to manage project financial risks and improve financial capacity of the project office where necessary
Organising the Financial Management Function: Planning, Managing, Monitoring and Forecasting
- Effectively plan, manage, monitor, and forecast Financial Management Systems operations with clear structures, roles, and responsibilities
Organising the Financial Management Function: Managing Risk and Anti-Fraud Policies
- Schedule of risk monitoring and number of financial risks identified and timeliness of risk management updates
- Schedule of internal and external financial risk management monitoring reviews and the extent to which it is followed
Organising the Financial Management Function: Policies & Procedures
- Ensure compliance with NSCIP and Global Fund policies and procedures, systems and practices;
- Continuously review and assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the financial management policies, procedures and processes and identify improvement where necessary
Organising the Financial Management Function: Maintain & Develop Financial Staff
- Develop knowledge of staff to implement Financial Management Systems operations
- Periodically visit implementing partners and provide training and Technical Assistance in the areas of Finance
- Provide technical financial support to contractor and PMO accountants and other staff to ensure Global Fund financial management standards are upheld; arrange additional training/capacity building for implementing partners as required
Budget system: Budgets and Financial Reporting
- Prepare work plan and budget/forecast for the grant and oversee monitoring of all budgets on a continuous basis; Ensuring PMO/implementing partners have a clear work plan and budget;
- The prompt preparation of regular and reliable financial statements and reports
Accounting system; Data & Transaction Recording
- Accurately and promptly record all transactions, disbursements, and balances
Treasury system; Treasury & Disbursement
- Ensure that project documentation and filing procedures (including effective filing of hard copies and effective back up system) are implemented and an up-to-date file is maintained for each Implementer and PMO with timely inclusion of all relevant documents, including copies of communication/disbursement records
- Ensure that funds are disbursed to the PMO/Implementers on a timely and efficient manner considering the fulfillment of conditions precedent to disbursement.
Purchasing system; Non-health Product Procurement
- Adequate procedures, oversight, and performance for procuring non-health products to Support management of vendor relationships, pay bills and invoices in a timely manner.
Asset management system: Safeguard financial and physical assets such that there is evidence of:
- Managing all project assets, ensuring satisfactory level of accountability and internal control at all times;
- Maintain asset register, and ensuring that insurance/policies on Assets are paid as and when due;
Audit arrangements; Accountability & Oversight
Maintain and use adequate FMS accountability, audit, and oversight mechanisms such that:
- Preparation of necessary audit schedules including Trial balance, details of fixed assets etc. for the conduct of the annual audits by the National Malaria Elimination Programmes and NACA external auditors are completed on a timely basis.
- Organization & Planning: Ability to handle multiple tasks and recognize priorities, working within tight deadlines;
- Computer skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook; Word and Excel with knowledge of Power Point desirable, Internet research;
- Project coordination experience, and the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors;
- knowledge/sensitivity on local social, political, economic realities and dynamics in order to use appropriate influencing and dialogue strategies; Ability to share this information with others, generating a common interest and team working dynamics around this issue; tailor management strategy accordingly and adjust the management response to challenges and problems arising.
- Personal Effectiveness: Proactively find innovative and creative solutions, be efficient and reliable, adapt to change and uncertainty, be decisive and act with integrity;
- Working with Others: Build effective internal and external relationships, involve others to solve problems and treat others with consideration and respect;
- Core Expertise: Passion for building and developing core skills for the role and contribute knowledge outside of their immediate role;
- People Leadership: Effectively motivate, influence and develop others, drive high performance, inspire people to follow them and act as a role model;
- University Degree in Finance or Accounting and a professional qualification such as a Chartered Accountant, Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Financial Analyst is essential.
- 7 to 10 years of demonstrated progressive experience in financial analysis and decision-making, obtained with an international accounting firm, bilateral or multilateral aid agency, government department, industry, or a commercial or investment bank;
- Experience in financial, regulatory, and grant-making or contracting processes;
- Demonstrated experience of having to make budgetary decisions or approvals;
- Experience of supervising a team and having to make decisions around performance management within a finance function.
- Grants and project management experience, preferably in the health, social or financing sector would be an advantage as well as relevant experience in developing countries;
- A good understanding of the Global Fund operations
- Experience of working within an international or regional sphere of activity.
- An excellent knowledge of English is required for this role.
Method of Application
To apply, visit UNOPS website
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Mandatory cover letter: Please ensure your application is supported by a one-page cover letter. In your letter please explain clearly the skills, experiences and characteristics that make you especially suited to the advertised role.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale