International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations.
International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance. International Medical Corps has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013, implementing WASH projects, building the capacity of local health system and communities and ensuring the provision of quality, accessible Nutrition and Health Care for Children under five years of age.
International Medical Corps seeks a local Consultant with extensive WASH experience to work with its WASH team in Maiduguri.
Purpose of the Consultancy:
The main purpose of this consultancy is to support stepping up of International Medical Corps WASH projects implementation in Maiduguri with a special focus on emergency latrines construction as water points drilling and/ or rehabilitation. The consultant is also expected to contribute to the capacity building of current national staff involved in the implementation of WASH interventions in the International Medical Corps Borno program.
Duration of the Consultancy:
One month with possibility of extension
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Emergency Latrines construction and Hand pump water points drilling:
- Provide rigorous supervision and close follow up to the community led construction of emergency latrines in Maiduguri IDP camps and host communities.
- Review progress made at every stage of emergency latrines construction to ensure adherence to specification and timely completion of all emergency latrines construction as per schedule
- Support the WASH Officer in providing close supervision to the contractor (s) selected for the drilling and/or rehabilitation of water points
- Provide feedback and recommend for corrective measures to be taken immediately whenever progress on water points works by the contractors is not in line with initially agreed upon BoQs, and specifications
- Closely coordinate with the Emergency Program Coordinator to ensure all challenges arising from the emergency latrines construction and water drilling works are addressed in a timely manner to ensure timely completion as per schedules
Procurement process for New Projects:
- Lead in the development of BoQs and related documentation to launch new WASH procurement contracting processes for new projects in Maiduguri ( OFDA)
- Work with the WASH team to ensure close coordination with community and relevant key line ministries in site selection for the various latrine construction and water drilling/rehabilitation works and any other WASH infrastructure
WASH Staff Training and Mentoring:
- Invest in capacity building of the current WASH staff so that they can progressively take full control of key responsibilities such as BoQs preparation, supervision of construction contractors, etc
- Identify additional training needs for the current WASH staff and provide the same or recommend any action to the Emergency Program Program Coordinator
Coordination and partnerships:
• Ensure International Medical Corps WASH interventions are coordinated with the relevant WASH stakeholders at Maiduguri and ensure that International Medical Corps plays a leading role in the WASH sector working group in Maiduguri/Borno (this includes participating to WASH sector working group meetings alongside WASH Officer so that key programmatic/ technical information can be shared at the meetings)
Reporting and documentation:
- Lead on the production of key information/ data to input into the reporting process both within INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CORPS ( Monthly reports) and for donors ( regular updates/ quarterly and/or end of project reports)
- Support the M&E Officer in regular data collection on progress made on WASH works ( construction/ drilling/ rehabilitation, etc.) as well as provision of data to input into key progress tracking tools (5Ws, indicator tracking, activity progress tracking)
- Completion reports for all Emergency Latrines, water points drilling/rehabilitation and all other WASH works supervised.
- Provide an end of assignment report highlighting progress on all other deliverables as detailed above, key challenges for International Medical Corps emergency WASH interventions in Maiduguri and appropriate recommendations/way forward
- Educated to Masters level in Civil Engineering or any other related discipline
- Extensive experience ( Minimum 5 years) in the implementation ( Leading role) of construction and Water points works in emergency settings
- Cutting edge experience in preparation of BoQs and other specifications to lead contractors quotations process and /or organizational procurement of materials for WASH related infrastructure/ construction
- Experience with an international NGO in the WASH sector implementing hardware works such as construction and water points drilling/ rehabilitation
- Experience managing and/ or coaching a team with significant experience and seniority in the WASH sector
- Ability to implement community led projects and keep a positive interaction with community leaders, casual labour teams etc
- Experience working in following both organizational and donor procedure to ensure strict compliance in the course of project implementation
Method of Application
All applications should be addressed to the Human Resource Officer, International Medical Corps via the email: email@example.com
- Interested Consultants should state “WASH CONSULTANT” as the subject of their email, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be in a single Ms Word File.
- Deadline for submission is 14 August, 2015.Please note that due to the urgency of this consultancy, shortlisting will commence one-week following this announcement but will continue until deadline date of application. Interested consultants are encouraged to apply urgently.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.