Nigeria piloted the UN ‘Delivering as One’ (DaO) initiative in some selected states through the UNDAF II. This pilot was aimed at unifying and aligning the work on the UN system in Nigeria to efficiently and effectively deliver results in support of national priorities, as well as serve as a preparation for a full-fledge self-starter DaO country in the near future. The UN system, Government and other stakeholders completed the formulation of the UNDAF III with DaO modality for 2014-2017, and the formulation of an UNDAF action plan. The development of the operational document, the UN Development Action Plan (UNDAP) will assist the UN system to improve accountability, division of labour and better reporting of results for enhanced coherence of programmes. Although Nigeria is in development mode, there are many pockets of emergency and humanitarian challenges resulting from natural and man-made sources. The increasing security challenges in recent years culminating to the declaration of the State of Emergency in three northern-eastern states of Bornu, Adamawa and Yobe has exacerbated the situation and stretched the limited capacity supporting the resident coordination system in Nigeria. With the implementation of the UNDAF/P underway, the UNCT is seeking to enhance the capacity of the RCO for a strategic support to the increasing demands of the UNCT.
Under the guidance and the direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator, the UN Coordination Specialist will lead efforts to strengthen the capacity of the UN Country Team and provide support to the RC in coordinating and planning a coherent UN response to national development priorities – in line with UN reform objectives, the MDGs/SGDs and the UNDAF III, as well as emerging priorities. The incumbent will lead the coordination of activities emanating from the RC Office, setting priorities, and ensuring follow-up and feedback; and identifying and recommending proposals and actions for enhancing inter-agency coordination in line with UN reform objectives, the simplification and harmonization procedures and, as appropriate, initiating actions for implementation. The incumbent is expected to supervise very senior UN mission to the country. The UN Coordination Specialist works in close collaboration with UNCT members, programme and operations teams of the agencies, UNDOCO staff and government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful planning and implementation of UNCT activities.
This post is funded and limited to the RCO
Provides policy guidance and support to RC based on analysis of development and political trends and their possible impact on UN work, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Through analysis and research of political, social and economic situation in country, advise RC/UNCT on developments having consequences for UN agencies’ work and priorities;
- Support and coordinate the process of continuously identifying, analyzing and prioritizing needs in order to facilitate an appropriate, coherent programmatic response by UNCT, reflecting RC Work Plan, UNDAF priorities and MDGs/ SDGs;
- Support and facilitate assessments and other analytical work to help determine UNCT strategy and priorities, reflecting the overall framework of UNDAF and MDGs/ SDGs;
- Advise on adjusting strategies and implementation modalities, cost-effective and efficient implementation of joint UN programmes, common services and other UN functions;
- Support and facilitate the RC in defining the UN’s role, priorities and strategies and the various coordination mechanisms, including support to lead agencies of Thematic/Results Groups and Inter-Agency Task Forces;
- Monitor relevant developments in the General Assembly, Security Council, and within the peace and security departments of the United Nations HQ;
- Advance the UN reform agenda and UN system coherence.
Manages strategic planning process, providing input and guidance in the design of RC Work Plan, in line with UNDAF, national MDG action plan, BoS, and based on analysis of UN reform and Paris Declaration objectives, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support RC in preparation and coordination of RC Work Plan, based on assessments and other identified priorities and strategies;
- Provide strategic guidance and technical support to RC in strengthening capacity of UNCT to continuously design, coordinate and implement joint development assistance initiatives;
- Support RC and UNCT in the preparation of a Common Country Assessment (CCA) and preparation of UNDAF, annual and midterm reviews, when appropriate;
- Ensure appropriate linkages to other ongoing initiatives – e.g., preparation of the National Implementation Plans, Country Assistance Framework, etc.;
- Ensure synergies of UNCT on institutional and organizational issues to promote a united and coherent UN system, consistent with the organizational mandate;
- Draw upon other UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to provide contributions to UNCT decision-making and learning;
- Promote use of simplification and harmonization strategies, including common premises/ services and BOS, etc., in order to maximize effectiveness of integrated UN operations;
- Ensure the UNDAF M&E framework is followed-through and well reported upon;
- Liaise with various UN thematic working groups and interface with the Country Assistance Framework (CAF);
- Support mobilize resources for the UNDAF, when required.
Oversees and manages the work of UN Coordination Office staff:
- Coordinate all activities emanating from the RCO, set priorities, develop the annual work-plan and ensure follow-up and feedback;
- Oversee, manage and guide the work of the UN Coordination Office, a team of staff members working in inter-agency coordination, donor coordination, joint programming under the overall guidance of the Resident Coordinator and based on the RC Annual Work Plan, UNDAF and the Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness;
- Advise and guide staff on the theory, practice and implementation of UN and donor coordination activities, including but not limited to CCA/UNDAF processes, UNDAF annual and midterm reviews, UNDAF M&E, joint programming and programmes, aid coordination principles;
- Guide staff in partnership building and strategic interaction with national partners, donor aid agencies, civil society and the private sector, adhering to UN principles and values;
- Manage the funds-request and allocation process with the Development Operations Coordination Office (DOCO). Monitor and control the usage of these funds, review transactions and ensure the preparation of expenditure reports.
Oversees formulation and implementation of UN Country Team (UNCT) communications strategy and plan:
- Focus on crafting proper branding and messaging, demonstrating the concrete, measurable contributions of the UN family in addressing the national development priorities and in achieving tangible results that translate into positive impact in people’s lives;
- Ensure (1) tracking of latest developments and issues on UN reform in the media, UN system and other partners that require attention and on which UN system should respond; (2) drafting of speeches for the RC on inter-agency initiatives, (3) improving the internal and external websites (4) development and production of UNCT communication.
Oversees planning strategic engagement with non-resident UN agencies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Based on country assessment and needs, pinpoint areas and gaps where non-resident UN agencies (NRAs) could play a role;
- Establish links to non-resident agencies in technical areas not covered by the UNCT and facilitate inputs from NRAs to joint planning, and ensure that NRAs are informed and participating to UNCT initiatives.
Facilitates knowledge building and management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identify sources of information related to coordination, and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals;
- Identify national policies and institutions that require strengthening to ensure effective UNDAF implementation and provision of advice in close consultation with UNCT;
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organize trainings for UN staff on coordination issues.
Acts as focal point for High Level missions:
- Coordinate and organize high-level UN missions to Nigeria in collaboration with the UN Department for Safety and Security (DSS), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Protocol Department and UNDP Operations;
- Act as focal point for the coordination of UN system-wide related international and regional conferences;
- Supervise speeches and talking points of the RC/HC;
- Support the RC role as DO for Nigeria.
Impact of Results
The results of the work of the Coordination Specialist /Head of Resident Coordinator´s Office impact the role of the UNCT through his/her leadership in the formulation of the new UNDAF and joint programming guidance, ensuring complementarity of efforts between the UN and other international actors to maximize the effectiveness of UN operation.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Analysis and creation of messages and strategies;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Proven strategic vision and strong technical and analytical capabilities;
- Ability to negotiate at the highest decision-making level;
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships;
- Outstanding political judgment;
- Proven ability to advocate and provide policy advice.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for One UN:
- Analysis and creation of messages and strategies;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level;
- Promotes a One-UN agenda in inter-agency meetings
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and participates in the formulation of project proposals;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Identifying and building partnerships;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with counterparts at all levels;
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to the UNCT‘s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners.
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Implementing resource mobilization strategies;
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level.