The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
African Legal Support Facility (ALSF): ALSF is hosted at the African Development Bank in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. The ALSF's main objectives include: (i) assisting African Governments in defending against litigation brought against them by vulture funds (and other such entities); (ii) providing legal advisory services to African Governments in the negotiation of complex commercial transactions relating to extractive resources, infrastructure, PPPs, debt, and related commercial agreements; (iii) capacity building for lawyers related to the above; and (iv) development of knowledge products. The institutional structure of the Facility consists of (i) the Governing Council, (ii) the Management Board, and (iii) a Director.
The Corporate secretary shall provide members of the Governing Council and Management Board with key information, documentation and legal advice on a timely basis to enable them to make informed decisions. The Corporate secretary will also serve as the institutional memory of the Facility and should advise the Director on all matters related to the work of the Board and the Council. The suitable qualified consultant shall assist the Corporate Secretariat division in i) legal advisory and ii) institutional and corporate secretarial services.
Under the direct supervision of the Corporate Secretary of the ALSF, the incumbent will be responsible for the following activities in connection with the activities of the ALSF:
- Draft preliminary legal documents required for the effective operation of the ALSF’s institutional matters as well as related to agreements or contracts to be concluded on behalf of the ALSF and furnish key information, documentation and legal advice as required;
- Drafting and/or reviewing or finalising important documentation related to the activities of the institution including the annual report and other progress reports;
- Assist in membership issues, matters concerning Law of the Treaties, as well as in managing correspondence with Member States of the Facility and Participating Institutions as well in responding to any queries from senior government officials representatives of such Member States/Participating Institutions as they relate to the Facility;
- Regularly liaise and interact with senior government officials in order to follow up on membership matters including the completion of the procedure to join the ALSF.
- Assist in ensuring the organization of the archive of the institutional files in an efficient and executive manner;
- Assist in organizing meetings of the statutory organs of the Facility, drafting and preparing relevant documents including memoranda, minutes or resolutions;
- Ensuring that, if required, legal documents presented to the Management Board and Governing Council are accurately translated into the official languages of the Facility in a timely fashion;
- Assisting in preparing reports to donors and other development partners;
- Assist in recruiting external consultants;
- Liaising with donors, partners and external consultants as and when needed; and
- Undertaking such other assignments as required in furtherance of the ALSF's mandate.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A Minimum of a Master’s degree or its university equivalent in Law plus admission to the Bar of a member Country of the AfDB.
- Citizenship of a Country member of the AfDB.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience including in international public law and in matters pertaining to the law of the Treaties as well as in corporate business law.
- Experience in the organization and conduct of corporate and high level meetings, Protocol questions and activities and matters related to international relations and ALSF activities.
- Experience working for an established law firm or as in-house counsel for international financial institutions will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated effective coordination skills and an ability to work under pressure in a multicultural environment to complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral skills in English and/ or in French with a working knowledge of the other language.
- High level of integrity, moral values, discretion and confidentiality.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft IT software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
go to method of application »
The core mandate of the Bank’s Independent Development Evaluation is to conduct independent evaluation studies, provide relevant lessons, develop and harmonize standards and practices, support evaluation capacity development together with partner agencies and attest to the validity of both processes and the results of self evaluation activities.
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager, the incumbent will:
Lead the design, conduct and reporting of complex and major evaluations of the Bank’s activities including projects, countries, sectors, and thematic and corporate priorities.
- Design, conduct and report on evaluations in accordance with the Bank’s Evaluation Policy and Manual and international evaluation standards (e.g., OECD DAC evaluation standards and the Evaluation Cooperation Group (ECG) Good Practice Standards). This includes:
- Develop the scope and terms of reference;
- Prepare an inception report. Develop (i) Theory of Change; (ii) the evaluation design (e.g., randomized, quasi-experimental, non-experimental) including limitations; (iii) economic, social and statistical methodologies and approaches; (iv) clearly identify methodological limitations and how they will be addressed; (v) the analytical framework; and (vi) test data collection tools.
- Carry out data collection and code data against coding schemes in accordance with the evaluation inception report.
- Analyze findings of evaluations in terms of approach used, political sensitivity, strategic focus, economic and social implications in accordance with the analytical framework.
- Report on evaluation results - develop the performance story based on the analysis of evaluation findings. Author evaluation reports that are concise, clearly written, balanced, evidence-based and timely. Ensure that they address the evaluation objectives and questions outlined in the inception report. Make recommendations to the Bank’s Board and senior management on changes to the Bank’s policies, programs and projects, based on evaluations that have been approved by IDEV management.
- Establish an effective quality management process including preparing terms of reference for internal and external peer-review.
- Provide regular written progress reports to IDEV management.
Stakeholder Engagement and Communication
- Communicate the evaluation mandate and approach to Bank managers and staff at the outset of the evaluation and seek their engagement throughout the evaluation process (through the establishment of a Reference Group with a clear mandate). Obtain their feedback on the inception report and draft evaluation reports, and provide clarifications on evaluation recommendations for the preparation of the management response.
- During the evaluation process, consult widely and engage regularly with Bank’s Management and staff both at headquarter and field office levels.
- Identify any improvements to the evaluation process that IDEV may consider for future evaluations as part of its learning and communicate these lessons to IDEV management and staff.
Manage human and financial resources of a multi-disciplinary evaluation team to ensure the delivery of complex and concurrent evaluations that are conducted in an independent, cost-effective, rigorous and timely manner:
- Plan and manage utilization of human and financial resources, and monitor and report on the use of resources ensuring that evaluations are conducted in a cost-effective and timely manner as per the standards instituted by IDEV management.
- Lead and manage multidisciplinary project teams composed of internal staff and/or external resources involved in the conduct of evaluation studies.
- Develop and monitor work plans, project schedules and, project budgets.
- Select, provide clear guidance and supervise the work of both staff and consultants in order to deliver high-quality and timely evaluation products that meet the Bank’s Evaluation Policy and manual and international evaluation standards (e.g., OECD DAC evaluation standards; ECG Good Practice Standards.
- Convey clear priorities, expectations, milestones to team members and assign work based on the strengths of the team members. Monitor progress and provide useful feedback. Manage poor performance effectively. Guide team members in overcoming constraints to delivering quality products on time and within budget.
- Make timely decisions, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure to ensure the effective management of evaluation projects.
- Coach more junior team members by developing and implementing a professional development plan to help them become seasoned evaluators.
Promote the mandate of the evaluation function and contribute to the creation of an evaluation culture in the Bank and in Regional Member Countries (RMCs):
- Promote the use of evaluation as an effective accountability and learning tool in the Bank and RMCs.
- Support or lead evaluation capacity development initiatives within the Bank and in RMCs. Develop and implement effective capacity development strategies. Prepare and deliver evaluation training and offer opportunities to apply the training.
- Ensure effective and appropriate communication of evaluation findings, lessons, conclusions and recommendations to the relevant stakeholders.
- Develop innovative communication tools (briefs, highlights sheets, tip sheets etc.) that are targeted to different audiences (e.g., policy-makers) and select appropriate communication channels (social media, web sites, conferences etc.) to optimize the use of evaluation findings.
- Lead review, analysis and comments on documents prepared by Country and Sector Departments and other Units of the Bank to ensure that lessons of experience are duly incorporated in the design of Bank Group policies and operations.
- Represent IDEV in relevant fora within and outside the Bank to ensure that independent and credible evaluative information and lessons of experience inform the planning, design and implementation of Bank interventions.
- Organize meetings, workshops and other discussion fora to establish dialogue on evaluation results.
- Prepare oral or written answers to enquiries about IDEV’s evaluation work.
- Represent IDEV in relevant conferences, workshops, seminars etc. within the Bank and elsewhere, seeking to ensure that evaluation perspectives and results are given due consideration.
As a recognized authority on evaluation theory and practice, contribute to positioning IDEV as an innovator and leading-edge among other multilateral institutions and to maximizing the effectiveness and efficiency of the Bank’s Evaluation Function:
- Provide expert advice on evaluation methodology and evaluation products to other IDEV staff. Review evaluation products delivered by other IDEV staff in line with the Bank’s Evaluation Policy, OECD DAC evaluation quality standards and ECG Good Practice Standards. Ensure that the planning documentation and subsequent evaluation products are sound in their design and that their application will yield valid and reliable evidence suitable to support the Bank’s decision-making.
- Add value to IDEV’s work by providing constructive challenges of methodology, findings and, conclusions
- Establish the priorities and direction for evaluation in their respective area of expertise. Identify innovative evaluation strategies (including resource requirements) in these key areas as an input into IDEV’s work program.
- Develop state-of-the-art methodologies, approaches and tools to be used in evaluations that assess the relevance, efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of the Bank’s activities in projects, countries, sectors and, thematic and corporate priorities.
- Provide guidance to Staff and other stakeholders, including RMC representatives, to ensure that the IDEV’s approach is aligned with the Bank’s overall policies and rules, including commitments under the Paris Declaration and other high-level agreements on harmonization and management for results, and lead dialogue in these areas when appropriate.
- Keeps abreast of new international trends and developments in the evaluation profession and in the area of international development. Shares these with team members and colleagues.
Build strategic alliances and partnerships with key stakeholders within and outside the Bank to further the Evaluation Function’s mandate:
- Engage in evaluation communities of practice within and outside the Bank. Provide substantive input to these communities and share lessons of experience.
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with counterparts in other international institutions to ensure effective collaboration on joint initiatives and to identify good practices and learn from the experience of other organizations.
- Represent IDEV and the Bank at a variety of committees, meetings and working groups both within the Bank and internationally.
- Manage relationships related to the evaluation function with Bank staff and other international partners.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree from a recognized university with specialization in economics, sociology, statistics or public administration.
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in designing, conducting and reporting major and complex evaluation studies of thematic/corporate priorities or infrastructure/private sector in a timely manner and in accordance with international evaluation standards (e.g., OECD DAC quality standards and ECG Good Practice Standards).
- At least five years’ experience in writing evaluation and/or research reports.
- Experience using relevant computer software for data analysis purposes and using Bank standard software (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Experience in providing strategic advice to senior management.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring staff’.
- Experience in managing human and financial resources.
- Facilitation experience in multi-cultural or multi-sector setting.
- Knowledge of the Bank’s mandate, strategic priorities, policies and operations.
- Knowledge of evaluation theory, frameworks, process, methodology:
- Bank’s Evaluation Policy and manual; OECD DAC Evaluation Standards, ECG Good Practice Standards.
- Different types of evaluations
- Evaluation design.
- Quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Knowledge of developments and trends in international development.
- Ability to manage the work of multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to provide expert advice to project teams
- Ability to plan and manage major projects
- Ability to analyze complex issues
- Ability to operate under pressure and adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to act with independence, objectivity, and integrity at all times
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Team skills
- Detail Oriented
- Proficiency in English and/or French and working knowledge of the other language
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale