If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The African Development Bank Field Office has been established to strengthen the dialogue between the Bank and the Government, development partners, the private sector, and the civil society, in the design of the Bank’s development policy and programs, as well as on implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the poverty reduction strategy. MZFO also seeks to assist the operational functions of the Bank Group in launching and following up projects and programs in Mozambique with a view to enhancing portfolio quality, ownership, participatory approach, and regional integration. The African Development Bank invites applications from qualified candidates to fill in the vacant position of Secretary /Receptionist, Mozambique Field Office. This is a local position based in Maputo, Mozambique and does not attract international terms and conditions.
The Division manager is responsible for leading the team originating and executing long term financing without sovereign guarantees to projects and corporates in the real economy sectors, namely: mid and downstream oil and gas, industrial, manufacturing, agribusiness and services. Using proactive partnering, business acumen, professional insight and organizational skills, he/she will lead and coordinate the growth of the Bank’s portfolio in those sectors. The manager supervises and leads project teams that identify, appraise and process industries, agribusiness and services projects until first disbursement, at which point primary responsibility is passed to the portfolio management division. He/she will be accountable for ensuring quality at entry of transactions entering the portfolio in terms of risk and sound banking principles, development contribution, additionality and catalytic impact of Bank financing, as well as safeguards and legal compliance.
Reporting to the head of the Department and working closely with internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent’s role includes but not limited to:
The Technical Oversight:
- Set and lead implementation of the operational strategy to grow the Bank’s non-sovereign investment portfolio in real economy sectors.
- Develop an internal and external network of partners and clients for pipeline development across priority sub-regions and clients.
- Supervise the structuring of projects at inception and coordinate all activities related to securing mandates comprising the relevant range of Bank financing and non-financing products in negotiation with sponsors and potential co-financiers.
- Plan and coordinate the preparation of preliminary evaluation notes (PEN) for new projects for submission to the deal clearance committee signalling entry of new projects into the division’s pipeline.
- Coordinate the establishment of project appraisal teams for projects that have been cleared for inclusion in the pipeline and ensure effective and timely processing to the various oversight committees
- Oversee and coordinate the processing of transactions through all stages of project assessment and review- for business development and origination, to preliminary review, concept clearance, due diligence, appraisal, approval, negotiation and first disbursement.
- Coordinate due diligence missions for projects cleared for appraisal and ensure composition and organisation of the team for effective delivery.
- Plan, guide and quality assure transaction documentation proposed for clearance through the various oversight committees (Preliminary Deal Clearance, Country Team, Credit Committee, Operations Committee, Board).Coordinate and lead the negotiations with clients and the preparation of final project legal documentation for signature.
- Plan and supervise the clearance of conditions precedent and the submission of documents to ensure effective disbursement of committed projects.
- Regularly update the annual project processing schedule, and rolling Board project processing schedule and participate in the periodic coordination meetings and platforms of all departments participating in the review and execution of transactions related to the sector mandate of the division.
- Develop and maintain relations with counterparts at other DFIs.
- Ensure the effective implementation of internal process controls for all private sector projects.
- Plan and coordinate the preparation and utilization of the budget for the division.
- Undertake annual performance evaluations of all staff in the division.
- Oversee the recruitment of new staff for the division.
- Manage a team of Lead and professional levels as well as support staff in providing efficient and high quality services that support the business. Set realistic performance goals and motivate team members to meet them, both for individual staff and for the team as whole;
- Manage all client relationship with the transaction ecosystem (Legal, Environment, Development Impact, Risk, etc.) and ensure quality of their delivery through a Service Level Agreement to be reviewed and adjust periodically
- Manage team’s staffing and resources competently and responsibly to achieve the Division’s objectives.
- Be a collaborative member of the Management Teams of the Vice-Presidency Operation Complexes and Regional Directors, contribute and share expertise and input and foster a collegial environment and enforce synergies.
- Leading People: Serve as a role model, leading by example, builds alignment and commitment. Is courageous in challenging others to move the Bank forward.
- Delegate effectively and pay attention to detail while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Build strong relationship management and understand the business needs to assist in developing practical and effective solutions.
- Accountable for all aspects of the transaction process and formation/pursuit of strategic business growth
- Develop and direct the implementation of objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the Division. Ensure compliance with Bank policies and regulations.
- Lead complex missions involving negotiations with government officials, private investors and co-financiers;
- Provide advice to investors and enterprises on project structuring (selection of partners, technology, identification of markets etc.)
- Educate and consult with internal colleagues, clients and consultants on the markets, complex transactions, and potential client solutions.
- Ensure customer service culture of the Department Staff and ensure provision of efficient services to clients.
Agent of Change
- Applies the principles of change management and proactively serves as a role model for transformation and capacity for acceptance of change. S/He uses a seasoned knowledge of results-based management and budgeting, enterprise resource planning (ERP) and other information technology to develop, analyse and promote acceptance of new methods of work and automated work flows.
- Manages change through consultations with Operations and Finance Department colleagues
- Develops outreach initiatives to RMC Clients and OPSM counterparts to build understanding of and to ensure open and regular communications to Bank’s programs, projects and fiduciary rules and requirements
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence
- Demonstrating Leadership: Personal leadership and attitude to change
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Continuously seeks to learn, shares knowledge and innovates
- Focuses on clients
- Problem solving and decision making: Demonstrates sound problem solving and decision making ability
- Managing time, resources and information: Manages own time, information and resources effectively
- Team Work: Contributes effectively to the team
- Communicating and negotiating: Communicates effectively: creates understanding between self and others
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains effective working relationships
- Manages for performance
Corporate and General Communication:
- Communicate effectively to staff and management how the related strategy, policy, and processes support the needs of the business and enable a productive, positive and engaging work environment for staff.
- Develop and coordinate the Bank’s relationships with other institutions involved in private sector development;
- Strong presentation and speaking skills to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people (clients, peers, supervisors and subordinates).
- Strong and proven client orientation skills and initiative in anticipation of business needs and finding solutions.
- The candidate is fluent in one of the Bank’s working languages (French or English), and has working knowledge of the other. Working knowledge of another official language of the region particularly Arabic or Portuguese would be value adding.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master's or equivalent degree in Finance, Engineering, International Investment Banking, Business administration, Risk Management, Investment management.
- A minimum of 8 years hands-on relevant experience in developing and financing private sector operations (project finance, corporate finance and equity investment).
- Demonstrated track record of structuring and executing deals successfully that have performed in financial, developmental and sustainability terms.
- Knowledge of Multilateral development banking, Investment banking and fund management.
- Experience of working in developing countries, including frontier markets.
- Experience of working in multi-cultural and multi-lingual professional environment.
- Track record of leading and developing teams and managing projects and programs.
- Good coaching, mentoring and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong analytical, risk assessment and mitigation, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage their time effectively to deal with multiple demands and deadlines.
- Communicate and write effectively in French and/or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software applications (SAP or equivalent, word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Strong leadership and coaching skills, with a proven track record of working with teams and creating an empowering and self-development oriented work environment.
- Operational Effectiveness: The commitment to ensure that full use is made of the project processing systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results.
- Innovation & Creativity: The commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the bank and its clients.
- Problem Solving: Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Demonstrates Professional Expertise: Continuously expands understanding of relevant business products, practices and systems/technology. Shares knowledge and expertise with others.
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Client Orientation: Ensures that the client (internal or external) is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Team-work and Relationship Management: Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and the workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.