If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
eHealth Africa is focused on improving healthcare by creating effective ways to implement reliable health information management systems. We have developed eHealth and mHealth solutions that can be rapidly deployed to manage patient information, streamline clinical procedures, and provide data and analysis on health program outcomes. Accurate health data will provide NGO’s, hospitals, and donor agencies with access to timely health system indicators needed to evaluate their health interventions and respond to critical public health needs. We bring about positive change by harnessing the potential of technology, valuing the power and knowledge of local people, and maintaining a sharp focus on the health worker. To help close the gap in access to health care we have developed and share a depth of expertise in:
- eHealth and mHealth software and solutions
- Technology Infrastructure
- Training and capacity building for sustainable health systems
- Research and data analysis
- Project Management
- Communications Associate, ICT4SOML
The GIS Data Analyst designs, compiles and analyzes data; and prepares data,analysis, maps and mapping applications for various eHealth Africa’s departments and relevant stakeholders using specialized computer software. S/he works collaboratively to prepare detailed reports to meet internal and external requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned
- Conducts GIS data capture using global positioning equipment and other means. Develops comprehensive documentation on all aspects of GIS. Documents GIS data creation, management, and quality assurance procedures. Assists in the collection, storage, maintenance and dissemination of data relevant to eHA’s Projects.
- Performs spatial analyses and creates information products from GIS and related software & subsystems. Perform tests on all enhancements and new releases and provide support to all GIS applications at all times. Creates, maintains, and conducts Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) of geographic data sets using a variety of software and source data.
- Manages individual data and application’s development projects. Coordinates directly with all eHA’s departments to develop and maintain specific GIS data and analysis. Conducts Global Positioning System (GPS) surveying and data post-processing for GIS database development efforts.
- Provides support for GIS data conversion, systems integration and application’s development and implementation. Creates final map products using a variety of GIS software for various departments for eHA projects and/or reports; produces specialized maps for various eHA departments as necessary.
- Conducts Global Positioning System (GPS) surveying and data post-processing for GIS database development efforts. Utilizes Geographic Information System techniques to provide a better understanding of certain variables in a given geographic location. Provides support in the implementation and maintenance of various geographic information systems applications.
- Assists with designing and implementing training plans. Provides support and training on various aspects of GIS software, database creation and use. Coordinates GIS activities with programmers and technicians. Responsible for updating, maintaining mapping standards and work processes.
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots problems with the use of GIS and any related software problems. Conducts complex analysis using ArcGIS in a variety of projects. Recommends appropriate reactionary strategies in response to GIS analysis. Manages and maintains data and other technical documentation.
- Uses GIS technologies and spatial analysis to better integrate planning and design for eHA’s Projects. Implements procedures to standardize and streamline information flows and data management to support project operations and improve interagency coordination with clients/ business partners and other agencies.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings, seminars and trainings in order to stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of geographic information systems technology.
- Performs other duties assigned by Management.
- May frequently travel between company worksites.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Geoinformatics, Geography, Surveying, Cartography, Social Science or related field. Minimum of Three (3) years of GIS experience preferably in the Non- profit sector or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Significant and advanced GIS experience may substitute for the Master’s degree.
- Relevant working experience in an NGO is desirable. Demonstrated Knowledge of GIS data principles, practices and Techniques, Cartography and data collection systems.
- Ability to perform GIS data conversion/editing, GIS maps production, spatial database management, spatial analysis/reporting tasks. Ability to interpret land descriptions, maps, drawings, charts, plans, survey records, and aerial photos
- Advanced knowledge and skill in the operation of GIS surveying and related equipment, including computer hardware, plotter/printer setup, GPS. Prior experience with AutoCAD is preferred. Ability to create maps and charts from multiple layers of data.
- Must possess excellent administrative and communication skills. Demonstrates attention to detail, good writing and listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills. Ability to work independently and in a team. Must possess good problem solving skills.
go to method of application »
Overview of Position
A Communications Associate is being hired by the Information and Communications Technology for Saving One Million Lives (ICT4SOML) Initiative to provide communications and administrative support for its activities in coordinating the strategic and systematic scale-up of ICTs to achieve the goals of Nigerian Government’s Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH).
Saving One Million Lives (SOML) was launched in October 2012 to prevent the deaths of one million pregnant women, new mothers, newborns, and children under 5 by 2015. The United Nations Foundation, with funding from Norad, has partnered with GSMA and Intel to support the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology (FMCT) in Nigeria around the strategic planning and organized nationwide scale-up of ICTs to achieve the goals of the FMoH through the SOML initiative.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Communications Associate will:
- Provide logistics support for events planning and day to day program operations.
- Be responsible for vendor and consultant management and liaison.
- Support the dissemination of ICT4SOML activities through blog posts, Facebook, Twitter and other social media and media platforms.
- Work with the Sr. Communications Advisor and SOML communications contact to ensure alignment of messaging and communications strategy.
- Support knowledge management and online collaborative activities within ICT4SOML, including managing online collaboration and document sharing tools/platforms (Google groups), and other online tools as needed.
- Manage the ICT4SOML mailing list of component groups and making sure they are up to date.
- Provide general administration and Health ICT (ICT4SOML) communication tasks as maybe delegated
Selected candidate will report to the Project Manager, and work closely with consultants; UN Foundation core staff and ICT4SOML team core team (Including SOML ICT Pillar Lead and the ICT Coordinators at FMOH and FMCT).
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Relevant degree plus at least 2 years of relevant experience. (NYSC members are encouraged to apply)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team atmosphere and capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Proven communication ability, with advanced ability to use social media (Twitter, Facebook. LinkedIn, and blog posts).
- Must be a polished writer with ability to track and document changes with strong editing skills; good note taking ability will be an added advantage.
- The candidate must be comfortable with emerging trends and technology in health.
- The candidate must have strong presentation and analytical skills.
- Experience working with virtual and international teams. Experience coordinating and using online collaboration tools (Google documents, Dropbox, Basecamp etc).
- Self-starter with the ability to take on multiple activities simultaneously while adhering to tight deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- High degree of professionalism, along with excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills required, with advanced knowledge of and proficiency in the Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Method of Application
Submit the application form including resume, cover letter specific to the position explaining why you are interested in this post and references . Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis thus early submission is encouraged. Applications without these materials will not be considered.
eHealth Africa is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, age, religion, handicap, gender, or sexual preference.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click on preferred job titles to apply online.