Damco is one of the world’s leading third party logistics providers specialising in customised freight forwarding and supply chain solutions. The company has 11,000+ employees in more than 300 offices around the world and a global presence in about 100 countries. In 2013, Damco had a net turnover of USD 3.2 billion, managed 2.8 million TEU of ocean freight and supply chain management volumes and air freighted more than 225,000 tonnes. Damco is part of the Maersk Group.
Damco Central Africa Area is looking for an experienced colleague to define, communicate and execute the DAMCO ocean freight strategy in the Area/Countries in support of Global and Regional objectives. Focus on product development in sync with commercial strategies and ensure effective implementation of new business whilst sustaining the baselines
Accountable for developing & establishing relationships with vendors, carrier associates, port authorities at the Area level to support DAMCO’s commercial & operational requirements
The Area Ocean Manager will be based in Lagos, Nigeria and will report to Area COO in Douala, Cameroun
• Drive improvements in margin management practices to support countries in achieving targets whilst managing trade lane economies including but not limited to Free Time, local charges and D&D agreements with carriers in the CAF / WAF areas.
• Coordination with counter areas on FOB opportunities to drive overall Ocean volume into the CAF / WAF areas (CIF to FOB conversion).
• Responsible for Ocean Volume growth & CM1 (profitability) as defined in the regional Strategy.
• Responsible for complying Global / Regional carrier MQC & allocations within the Area(s).
• Effectively manage procurement behavior and ensure balance of core carrier portfolio.
• Drive & support business development with close coordination with all commercial channels.
• Develop tender specific strategies in support of commercial efforts. Execute supporting activities including procurement and special items as needed.
• Ensure that appropriate ocean commercial and financial KPI’s are employed across the business to provide timely and effective reporting to support day-to-day management of the business.
• Take an active role pricing/procurement strategy and guidelines for mid & long terms opportunities.
• Drive projects in support of improving margin and efficiency of the Product across the Area(s).
• Support countries/branches in specific ocean product needs including commercial discussions as & when required.
• Provide leadership and management to the ocean procurement teams (LCMs), driving strategy execution and product management whilst ensuring high employee morale and motivation.
• Drive continuous cost optimization & re-procurement exercise to improve the yield.
• Focus efforts on tasks that will ultimately result in improvements to performance in the key priority areas of: Profitability, Growth and Operational Excellence
• Ensure all global and regional ocean policies, procedures & guidelines are effectively implemented and adhered to in daily operations.
• Support relevant reporting requirements time to time.
• Keep an “Eye” on the market and provide effective intelligence to the larger organization.
• Ownership on local FAK & NAC deals, other than those covered by Regional / Global level, and maintaining them central repository.
Who we are looking for
• At least 10-12 years of industry experience (NVOCC, Freight forwarding, Ocean forwarding)
• Minimum 5-7 years of functional management experience.
• Ability to work and thrive in a flexible matrix organisation with focus on networking and collaboration.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Team player with proven ability to work under pressure
• Effective change agent with the ability to adjust change approach based on circumstances.
• Passion for service delivery and cost effectiveness – and for identifying how to constantly improve.
• Prior understanding and experience in the Africa environment is preferable.
• Ability to balance product priorities with commercial imperatives.
• Adaptability to changes in the work environment – managing competing demands and has ability to deal with frequent change, delays and unexpected events.
• Strong drive, initiative and engagement – ability to work self-directed and well organised.
• Ability to take a Global view.
• Excellent English communication skills, verbal & written.
• Managing a key product in the business portfolio
• Expanding network in the Forwarding business
• Delivering on strategic plans in a global environment
To apply for this position, click here