We're a leading international bank, with more than a 150-year history in some of the world's most dynamic markets. We bank the people and companies driving investment, trade and the creation of wealth across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
With 1,600 branches and offices in 70 countries, we offer exciting and challenging international career opportunities.
To provide legal advice and transactional support to the relevant country business and is responsible for driving the country business forward. The role will support with compliance elements and the role will require the candidate to provide compliance support on transactional and product matters together with compliance officers within the bank.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- To execute transactions and cases in a timely and effective manner for the Bank's business segments across the region.
- To manage the process of engaging external counsel, including providing effective instructions to external counsel and negotiating appropriate fee structures for the transaction / case in question.
- To support and facilitate internal products development through the new products approval process.
- To develop appropriate forms of documentation for products and transactions in the country and region and, where required, support the creation of global standard documentation.
- To provide sound, technical product, legal and transactional advice to the business and to anticipate the impact of legal developments on the business and communicate such impact to the business.
- To drive the development and maintenance of good relationships with internal and external business stakeholders at appropriate levels ensuring an open and cooperative environment.
- To lead in the proactive and strategic identification of material legal risks in the business, including those related to products - both existing products and those under development - and customer segments.
- To ensure material legal risks in country are appropriately addressed.
- To provide legal advice, briefings, recommendations and reports on material legal risks and issues to business, country and functional stakeholders.
- To provide country perspective on legal risk policies and procedures and ensure consistency in the Country and Region's approach to legal risk management.
- To act as a central point of reference for legal issues from the country, region, business and functional stakeholders.
- To assist the Country Head of Legal, to support business growth and address all legal risks.
- To coordinate legal training with internal stakeholders.
- To promote active cooperation between the country, business and other legal teams to encourage a collegiate working environment across the businesses.
- To ensure that external legal engagements are coordinated and effective, and provides support for panel arrangements when required.
- To manage costs of the country legal team in accordance with the budget process.
- To assist with review of policies and procedures and compliance therewith.
- To assist in process governance committees and operational risks committees
- To assist the Company Secretary/ Head of Legal at Legal/Credit Security/other related trainings as may be required from time to time at the direction of the Head of Legal/Company Secretary.
- To assist in monitoring developments in the law through legislation and precedent and advising management of the impact of such changes
- To support the total process of company searches /liaising with the concerned business units to ensure successful implementation within specified time frame
- To be responsible for managing and providing support on the bank/staff mortgage portfolio
- To support on correspondence to external lawyers and Customers (where required).
- To assist in amending and reviewing service level agreements to ensure protection of the bank's interest in the context of its relationship with third parties.
- To assist in preparing and reviewing security documentation
- To be responsible for the maintenance and proper filing of all documents in the custody of L&C
- To be responsible for the law office administration
- To be responsible for all other administrative matters relating to legal and compliance
- To develop relationships with legal officers in other reputable institutions and ensure that SCBN is in the forefront of best market practice.
- To Assist in implementing And Managing The Group's Legal And Compliance/ Strategy
- To coordinate security documentation for credit facilities
- To prepare and review commercial legal documents including contractual documents, guarantees, syndicated loan agreements, trust deeds etc
- To assist with the coordination and maintenance of the Bank's litigation portfolio as well as other court processes
Company Secretarial Matters
- To support with all Company Secretarial Matters
- To support in ensuring Implementation of Corporate Governance in country
- To assist the Company Secretary with all Company Secretariat office administration
- To assist the Company Secretary in preparing for Board And Annual General Meetings and collating Board papers
- notices, directors allowances for the Meetings
- To ensure safe keeping of all statutory records of the bank and the company seal
- To assist with management of the Bank's share register was well as general record maintenance and updates
- To assist the Company Secretary in to ensure that the Bank complies with all statutory, legal and regulatory requirements in the jurisdiction, including filings and regulatory disclosures.
- To assist the Company Secretary in to ensure that the Bank meets all requisite standards of corporate governance.
- To assist to manage the preparation, collation and distribution of the agenda and papers for Board and Committee meetings and preparation of the minutes thereon.
- To assist the Company Secretary to create and maintain a Director's induction pack and organize induction training and subsequent training for all directors with particular reference to corporate governance matters.
Qualifications & Skills
- - Minimum of a 2nd class lower degree in Law. Qualified lawyer, preferably in a common law jurisdiction.
- - Experience in banking.
- - Experience working in the markets of the bank's footprints (desirable)
- - Effective engagement of the business to understand their needs and execute their transactions.
- - General high level of computer literacy
- - Good communication and interpersonal skills
- - Ability to use own initiatives
- - Attention to details
In compliance with the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Act of 2004, all applicants should ensure that they have completed the mandatory NYSC programme. A discharge certificate will be required as evidence of completion of the programme. Where an exemption has been granted, a certificate of exemption will also be required.
Method of Application
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale