Locations: Makurdi, Benue and Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi
Job Category: Programming
Duration of Assignment: 7 Months
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps, an international humanitarian NGO and has been operating in Nigeria since 2012 and is looking for State Managers to be based in Benue state and Kebbi State, covering Benue/Ebonyi or Kebbi/Nigerto support the implementation of a rapid COVID response program through Mercy Corps’ USAID - funded Feed the Future Nigeria Rural Resilience Activity.
- The rapid response program will support vulnerable populations and livelihoods through Cash for Work and strengthen supply chains through smart Cash Subsidies.
General Position Summary
- The State Manager is responsible for leading and managing Rural Resilience Activity’s operations and multi-sectoral program of Humanitarian Assistance, early recovery and long term development in the Field Location.
- The State Manager will focus on providing leadership and representation of Rural Resilience Activity/Mercy Corps Nigeria in the respective field locations.
- The State Manager is responsible for project management and the implementation of program quality and accountability and ensuring Mercy Corps policies and procedures are adhered to by all staff all other contractors for Mercy Corps.
- She/he is responsible for enforcing strict ethical and integrity standards and ensures that those cases of violation of ethics such as fraud, corruption and breach of code of conduct are reported, documented and dealt with according to Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- As the most senior staff for Mercy Corps in the Field location, the State Manager is responsible for representing USAID Feed The Future Nigeria Rural Resilience Activity/Mercy Corps to partner organizations and local authorities and for coordination with other NGOs.
- The post holder will represent Mercy Corps on the local government level on all coordination platforms.
Essential Job Functions
- Oversee ongoing programs and startup of new programs in field locations (Benue/Kebbi).
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to achieve the desired impact.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities, authorities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Fulfil Mercy Corps Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Conduct monitoring visits to the field to ensure that all targeted program beneficiaries are rightly benefitting from USAID Nigeria Feed The Future interventions.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of project implementation, ensure that all interventions are completed in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner according to standard engineering methods.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to USAID/Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
Quality, Accountability and Compliance:
- Provide State Leadership in the rollout and implementation of Community Accountability and Response Mechanism according to established Standard Operating Procedures.
- Promote and encourage openness to welcoming feedback and complaints from beneficiaries and communities, and learning from staff.
- Ensure that those cases of violation of ethics such as fraud, corruption and breach of code of conduct are reported, documented and dealt with according to Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ensure that Standard Operating Procedures for all program activities are developed and adopted, strictly followed in Benue/Kebbi.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, resilience approach and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources and timely, accurate and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- With the support of the Chief of Party/Deputy Chief of Party and the Operations team, ensure operation systems (procurement, transport, storage, communications, estate/buildings management, asset management, etc.) are in accordance with Mercy Corps systems and policies.
- Ensure adequate operational systems are in place to provide adequate support to the field team.
- And that HR policies and procedures are understood by the project team and implemented.
- Provide leadership to the state team, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities, encouraging effective teamwork and inclusiveness, and building a team spirit through regular meetings.
- Oversee the administrative functions for the project team, line managing staff where appointed.
- Responsible for security management for the state team, including providing inputs to the location-specific Security Plan, ensuring staff are fully briefed/trained on the agreed security measures appropriate to the area, staff understand individual and collective responsibilities for safety and security and ensuring incidents are reported, critical learning is recorded and corrective actions are taken.
- Develop and maintain good lines of communication and relationships with local authorities and the local community.
- Represent Mercy Corps to local authorities (whether formal governmental or informal
- Authorities), securing the necessary appointments for visitors and local authority approvals and attendance to Mercy Corps functions.
- Represent Mercy Corps to other NGOs, and visitors, ensuring coordination and constructive working relations and attendance at relevant inter-agency coordination meetings as delegated by the Chief of Party.
Reports Directly To: Chief of Party:
- Complete routine progress reports and submits reports as required by supervisor;
- Provide weekly progress reports on implementation to supervisor;
- Assist USAID/MC management with any requests for information or data regarding program expansion or development.
Works Directly With: Programs, Operation and Finance:
- Cooperate and coordinate with all project staff to ensure good internal coordination and subsequent high-quality project selection, implementation and management.
- Coordinate with MC staff of non-engineering projects that may be present in the assigned locations.
- The successful candidate will provide effective leadership to the USAID Feed The Future Nigeria Rural Resilience Activity/Mercy Corps program teams in Benue/Ebonyi or Kebbi/Niger.
- S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 5 years field experience in Humanitarian and/or development programs, including demonstrable success in managing humanitarian programs in transitional environments
- Proven experience in managing programs in a relevant technical area(s) including E-Vouchers, Cash Transfers, Cash Grants, Livelihoods, Financial Services, and/or services for Internally Displaced Persons. A strong understanding of conflict-sensitive program mainstreaming would be a key advantage.
- Strong leadership skills and proven experience in managing diverse and multicultural teams the cooperate and deliver results.
- Must be a person of high morality and integrity standards both at a personal and professional levels.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Pro-active and able to work independently to complete project tasks/
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through on task assignments
- Experience working in humanitarian context projects is essential.
- Maintain effective communications with the local authorities and local community.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of daily project implementation.
- Ensure regular field monitoring visits of the targeted area and provide on job support & monitoring.
- Good written English and spoken command of local languages.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is based in Benue State and Kebbi State Nigeria and require frequent travel to field locations and cross-state travel.
- Security in the field locations requires additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services may be limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
Benue Click here to apply online
Kebbi Click here to apply online