Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Since 1979, we have helped people grappling with the toughest hardships survive - and then thrive. That’s the heart of our approach: We help communities turn crisis into opportunity.
Throughout our history, Mercy Corps has demonstrated innovation, timeliness and the ability to adapt quickly to changing realities.
General Position Summary
Under the pilot phase, from December 2020 to December 2022, the consortium partners recorded several key achievements and valuable were lessons during implementation. The pilot was implemented in Bille, Borrong, Kpasham, Demsa wards of Demsa LGA; Gereng and Tambo wards of Girei LGA; Gyawana ward of Lamurde LGA; Kodompti ward of Numan LGA; Gengle and Ndikong ward of Mayo Belwa LGA. To consolidate its goal COMITAS phase II will continue to focus on its four pillars which capitalizes on each of consortium partners’ expertise and strengths:
- Strengthen traditional conflict resolution in the targeted locations in Adamawa state;
- Improve trust in authorities’ commitment to provide security and adequate resource management;
- Enhanced collaboration in managing use of natural resources;
- Improve intra and inter communal perceptions
The Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning (MEL) Officer is a key team member of Mercy Corps’ Program Performance and Quality (PaQ) unit. The unit exists to support program design, implementation and utilization of information collected at different stages. The position holder will support the team with technical oversight planning and execution of monitoring and evaluation, ensuring quality in accordance with accepted standards, providing essential feedback for learning, accountability and decision making. S/he will be responsible for providing internal capacity building for program staff on monitoring and evaluation activities as well as review and develop timely and quality reports and the tools necessary to meet Mercy Corps and donor reporting requirements. S/he will coordinate and support data collection and analysis activities facilitated by MEL Assistant and regularly providing technical oversight, problem-solving and support.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy and Design
- Contribute to adapting existing M&E systems to monitor and evaluate project activities and impact, in accordance with existing Mercy Corps DM&E guidelines.
- Ensure regular reporting to the Consortium Coordinator and assist in the coordination of Consortium MEL activities.
- Assist in program strategy design, planning and implementation to ensure adherence to Mercy Corps’ Minimum Standards, including the use of standardized tools and indicators and documentation methodologies.
- Lead and support the design and implementation of assessments and other pre, ex-ante and post data collection and analysis.
- Support learning-to-action events, reflection session to analyze data for programmatic use and to document and incorporate lessons learned into program design, planning and implementation.
Data Management and Quality Control
- Assist program teams to develop and maintain knowledge and Information management system to support data collection, reflection, analysis and reporting needs.
- Ensure quality control procedures and accuracy of entered data and comparing it with the existing filing system to make sure all records are consistent and aligned.
- Provide support in the development of MEL Plans, tools, survey design, methodology, data analysis, and other services as may be required for program monitoring and evaluation.
- Oversee data indicator tracking and analysis, linking it with evidence on a regular basis and ensure that data and metrics in field reports are accurate.
- Remain updated with developments among the Mercy Corps Nigeria MEL community and agency-wide MEL trends and resources, and ensure that the MEL team are applying MC guidance and policies appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Maintain an up to date database that reflects progress through TolaData (including disaggregated beneficiary counts) and donor indicators
- Play key role in the development and leading in the review of program logical framework, intervention strategies and M&E frameworks and document changes to generate learnings and ideas for programs
- Work with the program team to identify opportunities to innovate M&E systems (particularly digital enhancement, data visualization, GIS).
- Coordinate assessments, evaluations and monitoring surveys in area of operation.
Documentation, Reporting and Learning
- Regularly document program data analysis summaries, and evaluations and provide evidence-based information, and other high quality, results-based documentation.
- Produce quality program reports and support program teams to review and improve on quality of reporting.
- Visit sites and partners to collect supplementary data, stories and conduct qualitative research both independently and in teams and support partner-organizations with proper documentation and report generation.
- Work closely with Learning and Communication officer to identify and document different case stories and communications points and process across programs.
- Ensure regular communication, coordination and reporting with the Consortium Coordinator (IOM)
- Maintain professional relationships with local government officials, private sector partners, NGOs, other development organizations, and civil society organizations.
- Maintain an active advisory role with the program and MEL team to help guide them towards robust and relevant data collection.
- Work with MEL and IT staff to maximize the value and utility of technology initiatives for effective MEL for Adamawa and Taraba state
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor or representatives.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: MEL Assistants
Reports Directly To: Program Manager.
Works Directly With: The Country MEL Manager, COMITAS field teams, Communications team, Consortium Coordinator M&E Assistant.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/Sc. in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Economics, Development Studies or other similar field; MA/MS/MBA in similar fields or equivalent is also preferred.
- At least 4 year of experience in development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation or other learning efforts is required.
- Past or current experience with conducting MEL for peacebuilding is preferable.
- Should understand concepts and demonstrate skills in monitoring and evaluation, results frameworks/program logics, and participatory monitoring.
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative data collection and reporting techniques.
- Ability to design and implement surveys and knowledge of commonly used sampling techniques.
- Experience with facilitation, capacity building, formal and informal knowledge transfer, partnership strengthening, and empowering staff through opportunities for growth and development.
- Experience leading learning extraction, development and sharing as part of the monitoring and evaluation feedback process.
- Familiarity with data visualization and data analytics
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as Tableau, SPSS, EPI Info and mobile data collection platforms preferable.
- Experience with digital or technology platforms for program and MEL related activities
- Strong ability to work across teams
- Communicates well with remote collaborators.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is a plus.