Job No: 54487
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Emergency Programme
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the general supervision of the Emergency Manager, the Programme Specialist - SRSP will roll out the SRSP pilot in Kaduna State in Nigeria.
- The roll-out will cover the following themes: programme design, partner management, planning and implementation, management and monitoring of programme/project activities, data analysis and progress reporting as well as Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) in support of achievement of programme goals and objectives.
- The Programme Specialist - SRSP shall also provide strategic guidance to enable the country office to liaise with relevant national and local authorities to provide technical assistance to strengthen capacity of government delivery systems to expand cash-based response
Summary of Key Functions / Accountabilities
Design and planning of the project pilot:
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOPs) for shock responsive social protection to the flood-affected population (for one state but can be adaptable) including top ups to existing social protection schemes, supporting consultations with national government, local authorities and relevant partners
- Develop a clear documentation plan for the pilot including process monitoring, lessons learned and challenges and successes;
- Liaise with relevant national and local authorities to provide technical assistance to the relevant line ministries; and
- Actively participate and represent UNICEF in nationwide coordination forums such as the Cash Working Group as well as national and sub-national social protection platforms as needed.
Operational management and implementation of the project:
- Provide technical leadership to the project to ensure quality standards are maintained and timely completion of all deliverables outlined in the project proposal;
- Engage with all relevant stakeholders to ensure better coordination and complementarity of existing and planned cash transfer projects in the State;
- Develop, review and maintain work plans with time frames and deadlines for key activities; based on its changing and emerging needs;
- Ensure all budgeted resources are requested, disbursed, utilized and reported against based on implementation timelines and commitments;
- Support relevant colleagues and implementing partners, remotely and in person;
- Conduct regular operational analysis of the programme, identify bottlenecks and develop solutions;
- Ensure adherence to all UNICEF systems and procedures and compliance with requirements for implementing World Bank funded project, as outlined in project documents.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Work closely with the relevant colleagues to implement a sound monitoring and evaluation system for the SRSP programme;
- Undertake field visits to monitor and assess programme implementation flag any critical issues/needs to the Emergency Team in a timely manner.
- Provide guidance to the relevant colleagues on the integrated use of data collection tools and methodologies including leveraging existing implementing partner systems;
- Produce complete and accurate reports as well generating and documenting lessons learned;
- Ensure a robust accountability to affected populations (AAP) framework is in place and regular analysis of complaints and feedback received through different sources and ensure implementing partners relevant follow up;
- Prepare relevant programme reports required for management, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.; and
- Produce an end of project report highlighting process, impact, opportunities for scale-up and lessons learned
Optimum Use of Program Funds for cash transfer programme:
- Establish and supervise programme work plans and monitor progress and compliance. Monitor the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated;
- Take appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds. Ensure programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation; and
- Ensure all applicable Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfers (HACT) risk management measures are implemented.
Strategic thinking on long-term shock-responsive social protection:
- In coordination with the Social Policy team, work on an influencing strategy to advocate for child-focused shock responsive social safety nets;
- Work closely with the Social Policy Specialist to develop a strategy for UNICEF's engagement on shock responsive social protection and support the team to raise adequate resources for its implementation; and
- Working closely with relevant colleagues to engage with the social protection and humanitarian cash transfers stakeholders for better coordination of efforts on the ground.
- Seek to support and influence the implementation process of the National Social Protection policy
To Qualify as an Advocate for Every Child You Will Have
- Advanced University Degree in International Development, Social Sciences, Public Policy, Public Health or relevant field
- Five years of relevant professional work experience – designing, implementing and managing of social protection or cash transfer programmes.
- Strong knowledge of social protection policy debates and evidence
- Previous experience in SRSP, is required
- Experience in government owned social assistance programmes
- Experience in multi-stakeholder co-ordination and facilitation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in a multicultural environment
- Ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and deliver high quality results on time
- Project management of development and/or emergency programmes, preferably humanitarian cash transfers in emergency or fragile contexts is desirable
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you Demonstrate
UNICEF's core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and Core competencies:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
- Builds and maintains partnerships - (II)
- Thinks and acts strategically - (II)
- Drive to achieve results for impact - (II)
- Works collaboratively with others - (II).