Subscribe to Job Alert
Join our happy subscribers
Consultancy Title: Consultant for Food Processing Quality Improvement and Certification
Project Location(s): Borno, Adamawa, Yobe and Gombe states
The Feed the Future Nigeria Rural Resilience Activity (RRA) is a 5-year USAID funded program being implemented by a consortium led by Mercy Corps with support from IFDC and Save the Children across the states of Adamawa, Borno, Gombe and Yobe in North-East Nigeria. The Rural Resilience Activity will facilitate economic recovery and growth in vulnerable, conflict-affected areas by promoting systemic change in market systems. This will ensure long-term improvements to markets that will sustainably move over 500,000 individuals out of chronic poverty.
Purpose / Project Description:
Agro-processing presents an important opportunity for inclusive economic transformation in the sense of benefitting a broad segment of the population, notably the poor and rural segments. Firms involved in food processing have an incentive to strengthen relationships with smallholders in their raw material supply chains to increase their productivity and improve the quality and reliability of supply. Evidence suggests an agri-business-led response is an effective way to reduce yield gaps, quality management and increase value adding processing, which in turn supports smallholder income and market resilience. Under the Food processing intervention, RRA seeks to increase competitive growth of agro-processing sector by building capacities of agro processors to meet food safety and quality standards in higher value domestic and export markets.
The Activity envisions more competitive agro-processing and food trade markets that continuously invest in improved technologies and best practices to meet the demand for quality products and processed food items. RRA seeks to build capacities of food processors to achieve domestic and international standards through Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP), Good Handling Practices (GHP) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), good aflatoxins management and obtaining standards quality. The Activity seeks to partner with leading consultants to build capacities of food processors to adopt models and practices that improve process management and acquire recognized quality mark from a standards body. In addition, RRA seeks to build capacity for local services that processors need to achieve standards by providing coaching and business mentorship to local consultants. By building out the availably of affordable high-quality business support services, agro-processors will be able to access the technical support they need across North East Nigeria.
The Activity intends to support and facilitate a process that leads to the increased and improved production of high quality and safe food products within two value chains in North East Nigeria. This will involve building capacity of selected food processors within these value chains to adopt processing practices that increase safety and quality of food traded and consumed.
The Consultant will;
Required Experience & Skills:
At least Masters in Food Technology
Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage.
Mercy Corps, Responsibilities
Timeframe / Schedule:
Estimated Commencement Date: June 2022
Estimated End Date: July 2022
The preliminary report will be sent to the MC team within 5 days of completion of data collection; the consultant will present preliminary findings of the assessment/profiling with a list of potential business sectors to MC.
The consultant will conduct his/her work using his/her own computer equipment.
Other miscellaneous costs directly related to the task will be supported with any cost needing prior approval from MC.
MC can provide survey enumerators as may be required.
Payments will be made quarterly: First instalment of 30% paid upon submission of mapping report; the remaining 70% will be spread across quarterly achievement of milestones.
In addition to the technical and financial proposal, expressions of interest should include the following:
The Consultant will report to:
The Senior Intervention lead and the Deputy Chief of Party.
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: email@example.com using the position as subject of email.
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile.
Join our happy subscribers