Terre des Hommes (Tdh) is a leading Swiss organization for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection, and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection, and Education sectors.
Reporting to Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Team lead, the Child Protection Case Management Supervisor under the overall management of the Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Project Manager and Coordinator will supervise the implementation of the Case Management activities in the various communities. This position holder will ensure the provision of quality mentoring, coaching, and supervision of caseworkers which will translate to better and quality case management delivery, supervise and participate in case conferences and case reviews, coordinate with relevant stakeholders involved in case management. The Case Management Supervisor will ensure that case management activities are consistent with TDH’S programming principles and approaches, draw on relevant best practices and lessons learned, to enable children to attain their rights and are compliant with donor regulations.
Responsibilities & Tasks
Assessment, Programme Design, and Planning
- Provide support on and keep up to date, a map of existing services to which children and families can be referred to.
- Link caseworkers with service providers and support effective collaboration
- Supervise and coach caseworkers on the identification, assessment, documentation, referral (to relevant services), and follow-up of at-risk children and families
- Supervise and support the caseworkers in family visits if necessary
- Organize weekly case management conferences/ case review with all caseworkers
- Ensure that caseworkers respect confidentiality and follow ethical guidelines
- Ensure that files, registers, and computer databases are used in an appropriate and correct manner and ensure caseworkers adhere to proper documentation and data protection protocols
- Support the implementation of the Inter-Agency Child Protection Information Management System
- Review the follow up of cases and ensure all cases are managed within acceptable timelines
- Work in close collaboration with the community mobilizers to strengthen our relationship with the community and to strengthen the referral system.
- Work with the child protection team to ensure close links between case management and our work with community-based child protection mechanisms.
- Ensure internal referral mechanisms (with other sectors) are in place and cases are appropriately managed and followed up when referred
- Ensure constant and transparent communication and collaboration with relevant stakeholders, including community members, community leaders, and families
- Document best practices, case studies, and learning
- Share information on field-level successes and challenges with the Child Protection Officer.
- Ensure that major challenges are flagged early, and addressed in an appropriate way;
- Facilitate, collect and report information regarding the overall situation of child protection risks
- Support the preparation of all procurement and administrative documents required for case management implementation.
- Support the Team Leads and Project Manager in the ongoing capacity building of caseworkers
- Submit regular case management reports and ensure that information is kept up to date
- Coordinate with other agencies offering case management services to children on referral and transfer of cases
- Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration at all times.
Advocacy and Networking
- Represent the organization in the local case management Interagency Coordination meetings, liaise with relevant Government line agencies, National, State, UN agencies, and I/NGOs working in the field of operation.
- Identify and assess suitable Civil Society Organisations and Institutions for partnership development on case management response.
- Contribute to strengthening the capacity of Civil Society Organisations and Institutions in line with the organization's policies and strategies.
- Liaise with other humanitarian actors in project locations to jointly advocate on child protection issues
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly reports on case management activities
- Prepare and submit field visit or monitoring reports
- Prepare training reports including pre and post-test analysis
- Prepare success stories on case management activities
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning
- Lead the design and develop appropriate surveillance, monitoring, evaluation, and learning systems for effective implementation.
- Contribute in documenting the response, experience and lessons learned on child protection in emergencies programming.
- Conduct regular assessments, analysis and advise program design and modifications
- Provide input to the development or revision of a monitoring and evaluation system.
- Identify training needs, develop and roll-out capacity building plan on child protection case management to Tdh Staff and partners to carry out quality child protection programming.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for Tdh Nigeria staff and partners on child protection
Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
- Fully comply with the Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy, PSEA are upheld at all times.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures.
- Language Skills: Excellent written and spoken English. Excellent spoken Hausa and Kanuri.
- Education Degree: A Master’s degree in Education from a recognized University
- Work experience: Minimum of five years’ experience designing, planning, implementing, supervising and reporting on Education in Emergencies Programming
- Knowledge & skills: Previous experience with an NGO is mandatory. Previous experience in emergency response is appreciated. Experience in protection, notably child protection, and Education is required.
- Computer skills: Excellent IT skills.
- Other: Knowledge of the North East Nigerian context would be an advantage
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Qualified differently-abled people are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that, due to the urgent need to fill this vacancy, the applications will be processed on a rolling basis.