Duration: 4 Months (with possibility of extension)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reporting to: Finance & Admin Officer
- Minimum of Technical certificate for qualification in cooking.
- At least 1 year as Chef/ Cook.
- Fluency in English i.e., ability to speak, read, write and interpret a conversation.
- Candidate MUST be able to handle cooking delicious meals for at least five (5) people daily
- Candidate MUST be familiar with Food Safety guidelines be able to work with minimum supervision
- Fast working knowledge of preparing a variety of dishes and accompaniments. Good knowledge of preparing and baking pastries
- Attention to detail, In-depth knowledge in sanitation principles, food preparation and nutrition.
- The Mentor Initiative applies a zero-tolerance approach to sexual exploitation, abuse, mistreatment or harassment, and other types of unethical behaviour including fraud. The Mentor Initiative will contact previous employers of applicants to determine if they have any history of violating international standards and codes of conduct relating to such matters.
The MENTOR Initiative is an international NGO, which directly assists developing countries in their fight against malaria and other vector borne disease. The MENTOR Initiative provides support in the fight against malaria and other vector borne diseases through three key activities: intensive development of the technical capacity of humanitarian organizations and national partners, technical support for in-country programs, and operational research for the development and evaluation of innovative and context-specific tools for improved vector borne disease control. The MENTOR Initiative works in collaboration with various international agencies and governments including the United Nations, the Ministry of Health, and other Humanitarian Organizations. In close collaboration with the Ministry of Health, MENTOR is implementing large scale Indoor Residual Spray (IRS) and community mobilization on malaria and hygiene promotion campaigns in the conflict affected areas of Borno state of Nigeria.
Overall Job Purpose:
Under the direct supervision of the Admin Officer, the Chef/ Cook responsible for managing the Guest house kitchen, cleaning, purchase of supplies, preparation of meals and serving.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing the kitchen; the hygiene of the kitchen, cooking and serving items.
- Keeps kitchen floor, surfaces, equipment, walls, doors, windows, cleaned and hygienic.
- Responsible for creating recipes, preparing ingredients, preparing appetizing, delicious meals and garnishes.
- The Chef/Cook will make adjustments to the recipes as needed to ensure consistency
- Create menu items and make adjustments based on proposed feedback.
- Responsible for preparation of shopping lists for the required supplies and ingredients a day in advance.
- Regularly check availability of utilities like gas-cylinder refills, trash bags, lighters etc. and request for replenishments through line manager.
- Responsible for shopping of supplies and ingredients.
- Ensure ingredients and supplies purchased are fresh.
- Ensure the raw supplies and ingredients purchased are properly stored in functioning refrigerators and clean storage areas.
- Ensure meals are prepared in right quantities and served in a timely manner.
- Responsible for emptying of trash/ garbage’s from the kitchen bins.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area, including handling utensils, equipment's and dishes.
- Maintain excellent food safety and sanitation standards
- Perform all other work-related duties
The Chef/ Cook MUST conduct him/herself with integrity and honesty.
Chef/ Cook must not discuss details about the MENTOR compound and staff with their family and friends outside work.
Safeguarding and Code of Conduct
Adhere to the agreed MENTOR Code of conduct on Ethics and Integrity and Safeguarding including, Whistle blowing policy.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the organization’s needs.
Interested and qualified candidates should apply using the Apply Now button below.