If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Street Child is a UK charity working to protect vulnerable children and improve access to education in some of the poorest communities in the world. We work in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal and in the last few months Street Child has been involved in the Humanitarian response for Nigeria as well as, being partner of the Education in Emergency Working Group.
Child Protection Program Manager
Position Title: North East Nigeria – Child Protection Programme Manager
Location: Maiduguri with frequent travel to Adamawa, Yobe and Abuja
Report to: Programme Director
Specification: Nigerian Nationals Only
Starting from: 1st December 2017
Duration: 6 months
- Street Child is looking for a dedicated Programme Manager for our new ‘Right to Care’ child protection programme in North East Nigeria, in partnership with five national NGOs. Our planned programme will include provision of psychosocial support to children in need, case management for children at risk, family tracing and reunification and livelihoods support for the most vulnerable caregivers.
- Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC), children associated with armed forces or armed groups (CAAFAG), and children at risk will be prioritised for emergency care, psychosocial support and targeted family tracing and reunification (FTR). Working side by side with local partners, this programme will explicitly aim to develop national NGO capacity through coaching and training. The programme will be integrated with Street Child’s existing Education in Emergencies programme ‘Right to Learn’ and will require extensive collaboration with the Programme Manager.
- The main responsibility of the Child Protection Program Manager will be to oversee implementation of the North-East Nigeria programme, reporting to the Street Child Nigeria Programme Director. The role will involve managing the North-East Nigeria team in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states, to work effectively with implementing partners and in liaison with government stakeholders.
- The position proven capacity of project delivery, effective team management and effective partner management at a senior level. The ideal candidate would have a strong background in humanitarian work with a focus on child rights, child protection, and ideally livelihoods. The successful candidate will also have proven coaching, teamwork and communication skills, and excellent leadership ability. Analytical thinking and the capacity to research innovative intervention methods, as well as creativity and flexibility are also expected.
- Responsible overall for the implementation of Street Child’s North East Nigeria Child Protection programme ‘Right to Care’, including:
- Project planning, including development of work plans with Street Child team and implementing partners, design of project management tools and project inception meetings;
- Project delivery, including monitoring of activity progress again target, and supervising and recording project activities expenditure against budget
- Preparation of narrative and financial reports monthly, quarterly and annually as required on project activities to partners and donors
- Identifying, troubleshooting and reporting issues with programme implementation to the Nigeria Programme Director as necessary
- Responsible for effectively management of implementing partners by:
- Leading the programmes team to effectively manage and support implementing partners, in collaboration with the finance team;
- Overseeing the monitoring function of the Street Child Child Protection team to identify and respond to issues with partners;
- Working with the Street Child UK team to identify partner training needs and coordinate with the team and partners to build partners’ organisational capacity through mentoring, coaching and training
- Responsible for recruitment and management of programme team in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states, in coordination with the Street Child Programme Director;
- Responsible for co-ordination and liaison between Street Child and other agencies/local government, representing Street Child at a senior level
- Participate in developing long- range strategies goals and strategies consistent with the mission and capability of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills;
- Proven coaching and mentoring abilities
- Ability to positively influence others and successfully reconcile differences;
- A self-starter with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility and dependability;
- An energetic team player who can effectively collaborate, and who can stand alone when necessary;
- Ability to work in international settings and with various departments to implement successful approaches to Education;
- Demonstrated ability to work and deliver under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Commitment to Street Child mission, vision and values, and the ability to convey with enthusiasm Street Child’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and in advocating for their right to protection and a life in dignity;
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information;
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
- Willingness to work in flexible, sub-optimal, stressful and unstable environment.
Qualification and Experience
- Master Degree in Social Science, Human Rights or equivalent
- Experience (at least 6 years) working in international development in programme management roles;
- Experience (at least 1 year) of working in North East Nigeria on the emergency response in child protection;
- Experience in managing sizable teams
- Proven evidence of having led the delivery of successful programmes, ideally with a budget of $500.000 or more
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and excellent writing skills.
- Hausa language skills are high desirable
- Strong analytical, reporting, strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills/experience
- Knowledge of project cycle management.
- Knowledge and ability to apply CPMS
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English including three (3) professional references with their contact information, phone and email address, A cover letter describing the candidate's desire and motivation to work for Street Child and how your qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position to: email@example.com with the subject "Application for Child Protection Specialist Consultant"
Note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be offered before as applications are received.