FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
Assistant Technical Officer - Environmental Health
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Supervisor: Project Coordinator
- The Assistant Technical Officer, Environmental Health will provide technical and programmatic support in Dikwa LGA.
- Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator, the ATO-Environmental Health will supervise project related constructions, monitor and train Community Volunteers on their hygiene promotion to IDPs
- Other responsibilities will also include training volunteers and community / camp leaders on safe waste management practices and providing support on activities related to environmental health at the health clinic.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In close collaboration with Project Coordinator, he/she shall be responsible to design, plan, implement and follow-up hygiene promotion activities such as training of trainers in hygiene promotion for community volunteers, WASH committee members and other stakeholders in LGAs in line with agreed work plan, strategies and methodologies of WASH.
- Supervise and regular carry out hygiene promotion that is being carry out in targeted locations/IDP camps
- Identify the most appropriate health, sanitation and hygiene messages for beneficiaries in the targeted LGAs.
- Developing and evaluating the most appropriate IEC tools/materials for hygiene and health promotion activities.
- Participate to the monitoring of all the hygiene and health promotion, and community mobilization activities to ensure target IDPs behavior change and project ownership.
- Ensure correct delivery and impact of hygiene and health promotion activities, good participation of the target beneficiaries and other local stakeholders, in close collaboration with other NGO partners to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Mobilize beneficiaries to adapt to essential health and hygienic behaviors and providing training in the target communities as needed.
- Participate in house –to- house campaign /shows regarding hygiene/health activities in IDP camps and community levels.
- Engage in the appropriate knowledge management (documentation and reports, sharing good practice, lessons learned, and knowledge/ information exchange) at all levels to foster learning, promote evidence-based advocacy and dialogue in the camps and communities.
- Sensitize population on good hygiene practices, focusing on hand washing, safe disposal of solid waste and excreta, latrine cleaning, diarrheal diseases prevention, etc. as adapted from time to time depending on the prevailing public health situations.
- This is not an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities of this post and the post-holder may, from time to time, be required to undertake any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as requested.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BA / BS in field related to WASH / Environmental Health with 1 to 3 years post NYSC and relevant experience with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regard to WASH construction, waste management and hygiene promotion.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa languages. Understanding of Kanuri language is a plus.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan.
Other Benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Know The Salaries Structure of FHI 360 via MYSALARYSCALE.COM