FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
Non-formal Education Specialist
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervisor: Deputy Project Director
- The NFE Specialist will work with local partners to establish community non-formal learning centers and support training and materials development for non-formal and accelerated education.
- S/He will collaborate closely with the Teacher Education Specialist on materials and training activities.
- The NFE Specialist will also lead project efforts to coordinate policy reform with government stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct stakeholder discussions around Non-Formal Education policy, curriculum, materials and transfer to formal education. Ensure timely completion of non-formal curriculum revisions In collaboration with the relevant partners to establish and/or revitalize non-formal learning centers (NFLCs) in selected communities.
- In collaboration with Teacher Education Specialist to provide technical input on revisions for the original Education Crisis Response materials (including literacy, numeracy, and social-emotional learning).
- In collaboration with relevant specialists, provide technical leadership for training development, including revision of existing training resources from Education Crisis Response.
- Assist in the selection of Master Trainers. Provide leadership and oversight of training of trainers and step-down trainings to facilitators. Write reports of relevant activities, including materials development and training.
- Work closely with STO M&E to provide ongoing program oversight, including regular review of M&E data, site visits to schools and non-formal learning centers, and review of reports from activities. B
- Build capacity of relevant staff members to assist in program oversight.
- Suggest improvements to program materials and implementation.
- On an as-needed basis, give presentations to stakeholders, donors and project staff members on technical work and achievements from the non-formal education sector. Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of literacy and numeracy instruction, materials development, and teacher training, particularly in the Nigerian context. Knowledge and experience of education programming in non-formal learning environments
- Knowledge of community mobilization and sensitization around education and safety Experience implementing basic education programs in developing contexts; experience in crisis and conflict-affected contexts is highly desired. Knowledge of Northeast Nigeria strongly desired; Sensitivity to cultural norms and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues is highly desired.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision. High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication. Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or another relevant field is required with 7-9 years’ experience working in basic education programming in developing context; Master’s degree in education or relevant field is desired with 5-7 years’ experience working in basic education programming in developing context.
- 2-5 years working in crisis or conflict-affected areas is required Familiarity with the Nigerian education system is required.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.