Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: 1st of October
Slot: 2 Openings
- The association leads in average 140 projects by year in the following sectors of intervention: food security, health, nutrition, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructures, water, sanitation, hygiene and economic recovery. PUI is providing assistance to around 4 million people in 22 countries - in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Caucasus and Europe.
- PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
- PUI is now looking for its MHPSS team, 2 Psycho-Social Worker in Maiduguri.
- Under the supervision of the MHPSS Deputy Advisor, the psycho-social worker will perform all MHPSS activities in the field, including case management and referral to other services. Besides this, S/He will fill data records, and perform data entry on weekly basis.
- S/He will take part in weekly office meetings, attend formal trainings, on job training, and provide weekly case presentations.
Responsibilities and tasks
Implementation and monitoring of the PSS activities:
- Provide psycho-social support, and psychological first aid to survivors who have experienced psychological trauma, torture, gender based violence GBV, domestic violence, and when necessary to survivors of natural disasters
- Work in collaboration with PHCC and outpost staff to receive referred beneficiaries, ensure follow up of referred PSS/ PFA beneficiaries, and provide guidance to health facility staff on PSS
- Provide screening and assessment on psychological trauma
- Sensitize, psycho-educate, problem solve, dialogue and mediate with the beneficiaries population about issues of war, torture, trauma, violence and GBV
- Ensure all work with clients is confidential and that ethical practices are observed in culturally appropriate way, especially with respect to gender sensitivities.
- Perform community awareness on trauma and psychosocial support to beneficiaries and community leaders
- Refer patients when needed to more specialized services in link with the deputy MHPSS advisor
- Perform case follow up and case management when there is need
- S/he should develop action plan for the follow up patients
- Engage in self-care through supervision, debriefings, and other shared sessions
Communication and reporting:
- Become proficient with the MHPSS data collection tools, conduct, and submit screening and assessments reports in a timely and accurate manner
- Fill in all reporting and data collection forms in daily basis to ensure quality reporting
- Weekly data entry of collected information from the field.
- Attend the weekly MHPSS supervision/ on job training meeting
- Attend all MHPSS/PFA related trainings given by PUI
- Assist with any other related activities as deemed necessary by the expatriate MHPSS advisor.
Qualifications and Required Skills
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa. Good knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: Degree/Certificate in Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, Nursing or other related fields
- Work experience: Experience in working as a psycho-social worker, or psycho-social counselor, or community social worker
- Computer Skills: Good knowledge of Ms. Office package especially Ms. Word and Ms. Excel.
Knowledge and technical skills:
- Reporting skills
- Knowledge of medical ethics
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions
- Ability to work independently in the field
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Team player
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Method of Application
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted.
- This position is open to Nigerian nationals only.
Interested and qualified? Go to Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) career website on forms.office.com to apply