Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
Programme Coordinator (MMDP - ASCEND)
Contract: 2 year Fixed Term Contract
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
Responsible for: No direct line management
Job Holder: Vacant
Department: Finance and Performance
Job Purpose (the overall purpose and function of the job)
- The Programme Coordinator Morbidity Management and Disability Prevention (MMDP) is responsible for programmatic management and implementation/delivery of the MMDP targets under the DFID funded ASCEND project Nigeria (2019-2021).
- Responsibilities will also include delivery of programme targets – number of hydrocele surgeries, lymphodema management, training of health staff and health system strengthening towards elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis in Nigeria.
- Will also work with the Country Technical Adviser NTDs to deliver on impact assessment and advocacy for the elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis in Nigeria and the health system strengthening under ASCEND.
- In addition, should be able to identify and contribute to programme growth and development (scalability) in collaboration with partners and colleagues.
Key Accountabilities (Specific Activities and End Results)
Strategic Programme Planning and Development (30% of time):
- Participate in strategic planning processes to successfully drive the direction and delivery of cost-effective services for MMDP and ensure the objectives under ASCEND are met and contribute to the national policies and elimination goals in Nigeria.
- In collaboration with partners and Federal Ministry of Health help develop strategies to address the large number of hydrocele and lymphodema cases in Nigeria as part of efforts towards elimination of NTDs in Nigeria.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the programme to ensure that MMDP maps are available to help track and ensure that patients get treatment/surgeries.
- Develop relationships with other NGOs in the ASCEND programme to support funding and delivery of MMDP services in collaboration with state partners.
Programme Management (25% of time):
- Provide effective management, coordination, technical advice and resource allocation necessary to support delivery of MMDP under ASCEND.
- Support NGO partners to establish and maintain effective relationships with the Ministries of Health and other partners in order to advance sustainable national plans and integrate them into the existing public health delivery systems.
- Identify, develop and evaluate new approaches and tools for sustainable programme implementation/delivery.
Monitoring and Evaluation (25% of time):
- Lead on supporting implementing partner in developing a system for monitoring and evaluating programme performance.
- Provide direction and support to assist country research teams and help them to identify operational research opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of NTD elimination efforts.
Advocacy and Strategic Alliances (15% of time):
- Build and maintain meaningful working relationships with a variety of partners and other stakeholders at national level to strengthen opportunities for advocacy and higher visibility.
- Represent Sightsavers at appropriate national fora.
- Ensure programme information flow is maintained across the Sightsavers’ country teams and directorates, the Ministries of Health and other key partners.
Research (5% of time):
- Work in close collaboration with key Sightsavers colleagues and project partners to ensure that projects conduct research and publish findings in international peer review publication.
- Assist project teams and country Ministries of Health in disseminating information on NTD activities, studies, research and lessons learned at national and international level.
- The principle accountabilities are not meant to be an exhaustive list of tasks. The need for flexibility is required and the job holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee's skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Job holder Entry Requirements - the essential knowledge, skills and behaviours required
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- Post graduate Degree (or equivalent) in Public Health, Medical/Biological Sciences or related disciplines
- Extensive experience of programme/ project management, ideally in an INGO environment
- Significant experience of strategic programme development.
- Technical knowledge on Lymphatic Filariasis and any other Preventive Chemotherapy NTDs in Nigeria.
- Experience of managing and community based health interventions.
- A demonstrated record of accomplishment in developing and managing public health programmes.
- Understanding of the health system in Nigeria.
- Experience of advocacy.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation (including ability to conduct and supervise impact assessment in one or more of the five PC NTDs)
- Experience of logistics and supply chain management.
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to influence high-level government officials and NGO leaders.
- Ability to build strong working relationships to enable effective management of partnerships and work collaboratively as part of a global team.
- Proven ability to think strategically and translate concepts into effective action plans.
- Excellent networking and advocacy skills.
- Excellent financial and resource management skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to deliver group training sessions.
- People management skills with a strong diplomatic understanding of culturally and ethnically sensitive issues.
- Able to travel regularly across Nigeria.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for disabled people.
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation
- Change and improvement - Seeks continuous improvement in own and team’s performance. Assists and encourages others to adapt to change and implement new ideas.
- Communicating and influencing - Identifies the needs of others, uses effective approaches and styles to persuade and communicates to groups in an interesting and effective way.
- Decision making - Consults and listens to take clear and timely decisions.
- Planning and organisation - Develops plans considering all the resources necessary to achieve objectives. Monitors objectives and measurement systems on a regular basis, identifying trends and key messages in data.
- Delivery and implementation - Continues to perform objectives positively in the face of pressures from various sources. Ensure the team has a ‘can do’ attitude and customer service mentality.
- Team working - Encourages and supports team members to ensure contributions are recognised, delegates effectively and encourages working in collaboration.
Key Relationships (Internal):
- Director of ASCEND
- Deputy Country Director Nigeria
- ASCEND project management team
- Sightsavers NTD Technical Hub
- Programme Staff NCO
- Finance Team NCO
- Nigeria Country Directors
- Institutional Funding
Key Relationships (External):
- Partners - Government and NGDOs
- Ministries of Health in Nigeria
- NTD communities in Nigeria
- Consultants and Contractors.
Local Terms & Conditions apply
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "Application Form" and "Equal Opportunities Form" by clicking the link below and return as two separate documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the "Job title" as the subject of the email.
Click here to Download Application Form (doc)
Click here to Download Equal Opportunities Form (doc)
Click here to for more information