The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
Journalist, Planning BBC Africa
Job Reference: BBC/TP/1394352/41949
Location: 1 role in Lagos (Contuinuing) and 1 role in Abuja (until 13th November 2019)
Job Category: Journalism
Contract Type: Permanent - Full Time
Business Unit: News - WSG World Service
Reports to: Senior Journalist Planning - Lagos and Planning Editor - London
- Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or on line. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre and post production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio & digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines staffing and resources available
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC Health and Safety policy
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Be fluent in English with knowledge of more than one language, broadcast by BBC Africa in West Africa, being a distinct advantage
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage, the programme departments and the audience
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively and adopts the most appropriate role
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone. No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by Junior staff i.e. Researchers, Coordinators and Assistants.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production and presentation of programming.
Method of Application
Click here for more Information (Pdf)
Interested and qualified? Go to BBC career website on careerssearch.bbc.co.uk to apply