Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact.
Youth Engagement Specialist - International Volunteer
Start date: 1st July, 2019
- The role will involve mobilising youth, identifying and engaging youth organizations, identifying youth employment and empowerment opportunities and challenges, developing initiatives for inclusiveyouth programming and building relationships with key actors to look at barriers within government policies and programs that hinder youth engagement and development.
- The role will involve field travel, organizing meetings, engaging with stakeholders at community, and State levels; Identify, establish and, strengthen youth platformsand providing support in gathering both primary and secondary information in the process of developing youth programmes.
- In line with the participatory youth engagement research conducted in 2019; use findings to inform and advice the HOP and youth manager to develop the youth engagement strategy. This will be done in consultation with the education, livelihood and health program leads
- Advise and support youth manager develop a youth engagement implementation plan for the strategy. Participate in youth activities organised by VSO and stakeholders including youth organisations, communities and government.
- Support theyouth Program Manager to identify and reach out to different stakeholders that are involved in order to provideinclusive youth employability and enterprise opportunities.
- Work with youth manager and regional knowledge for impact team to develop a monitoring and evaluation plan to monitor the progress of inclusive youth platforms in VSO Nigeria communities
Planning, Facilitating and Organising Meetings/workshops:
- Position and organise high level stakeholder meetings where VSO can take leadership and share learning from youth work being done in collaboration with key actors and possible consortium partnership.
- Liaise with other stakeholders at local levels with a view to stay abreast of new trends and contribute to ideas in key government and other stakeholders meetings where youth empowerment and employment is being discussed.
- Support in planning and dissemination of the outcomes of the youth engagement research done with key recommendations
- In collaboration with policy and SA advisors,support the Country Program (Livelihoods,Education and Health ) to plan, organize and conduct internal and external consultative and validation meetings for engaging andstrengthening youth accountability platforms and generating ideas for youth engagement
- Facilitation during youth meetings/events/workshops
- Research/Data Collection:
- Provide support in the gathering of information, analysis and dissemination from primary actors in rural and urban areason youth issues/challenges.
- Provide support in collectingand reviewing secondary information on youth development plans, strategies and other relevant reports
- Provide insights or recommendations for interventions to support youth in accessing employment opportunities, strengthening accountability, engaging with communities and relevant stakeholders
- Prepare progress reports on youth program activities and update Head of Programs.
Key Performance Indicator:
- Identify and reach out to youth and youth organisations and activities on which to collaborate or provide support
- Organise meetings and workshops for: youth programme development and youth engagement
- Report on key issues affecting youth involvementsocial accountability.
- Identify opportunities for an inclusive youth employment and enterpriseplatforms
- Report on progress of youth employment in VSO Nigeria communities
- Self confidence
- Analytical and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Open Minded and Respectful - A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
- Seeking and Sharing Knowledge - Recognition that learning is a two-way and continuous process.
- Facilitating Positive Change - The ability to analyse problems and develop solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- Adaptability - A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- Resilience - The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Ideal candidate should be a Non-Nigerian and would have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Young persons with Bachelor’s degree oradvanced diploma in social sciences, management, business, economics or other related courses
- Dynamic diploma holders with ambition, youth engagement skills, and exposure are eligible
- Leadership experience in the community or in a business setting
- Meeting facilitation skills
- Familiar with Youth programmes and initiatives in Nigeria
- A good level of spoken and written English
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- A good network with youth organisations in Nigeria
- Previous experience or current involvement in youth sport and entertainment clubs or organisations
- Previous or current involvement in volunteering work in the community
- Experience in facilitating meetings and group discussions.
- Experience in Youth Mobilisation and Training.
- Knowledge of current issues and best practices in Child Protection, Disability and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
As a VSO volunteer you will work on an ad hoc basis, performing activities for VSO as agreed with the line manager. Expenses you incur while volunteering for VSO are reimbursed (be more specific if applicable) and allowances will be provided on monthly basis
Method of Application
Click here for more Information (PDF)
Interested and qualified? Go to VSO career website on www.vsointernational.org to apply