Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Household Economic Strengthening (HES) Coordinator
Ref Id: 190001LY
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- This position will be responsible for providing technical support and guidance in the implementation of the economic strengthening component of the STEER OVC project.
- The job will primarily focus on; support CSOs on market assessment which will include gender iterative economic opportunity analyses, identification of pro-poor, high-growth value chains, building financial literacy skills of households, incorporating basic market principles, facilitate skills trainings, manage group savings programs, household economic assessments, support to households to develop and scale-up businesses on community-based savings and loan schemes, (VS&L) for caregivers and heads of households.
Scope of role:
- Reports to: HES Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post : 0
Key Areas of Accountability
- Ensure the day-to-day implementation of the work plan activities in the State and provide input into the development, on-going management and maintenance of work plan.
- Coordinate identification of viable HHES models, gather information on what models of HHES are available in the target communities, both formal and informal
- Based on the above, contribute to the design of flexible and adaptable economic strengthening models based on best practices and relevance to the Nigeria context, which can be feasibly rolled out in target communities.
- Support to train and guide CSOs or partners as they roll out HHES strategies in target communities, working with teams to plan and implement the roll-out strategies.
- Provide support and mentoring to CSO staff and partners in implementing the HHES services in the communities, through field visits, refresher trainings, on the job training etc. Help CSOs ensure that services are relevant and useful to the beneficiaries and well integrated with other services provide by and through the STEER project.
- Support the project CSOs or partners ensure that economic strengthening services provided by STEER project are in line and complementary with, other economic strengthening services provided by other agencies at the state and community levels.
- Coordinate periodic monitoring/reviews of the HHES services, identify successes, and using lessons learned to make contribution to the overall HHES strategies of the project.
- Ensure that HHES components and related services are integrated into project reviews and evaluation activities.
- Support State level planning of activities as agreed in the STEER work plan.
- Under the Supervision of HES Manager, manage the preparation, coordination, and execution for special technical events.
- Participate in meetings, seminars, debriefings and other technical meetings as required.
- Compile States level reports on project results, case studies and lessons learned.
- Develop State level annual, quarterly and monthly work plans as agreed with the line manager.
- Facilitate, draft, and participate in the development of, and/or the timely completion/review of STEER technical reports, such as: monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports; strategic plans and work plans; and other ad hoc reports, as required.
- Participate in the design and implementation of assessments and evaluation studies, trainings, and workshops.
- Support the work of consultants in the States as needs arise.
- Document technical team meetings, partner meetings, conferences, and workshops, so that notes are around to team members not in attendance and to STEER/HQ.
- Provide support on technical initiatives, including performing literature searches, investigating key issues, and contributing to technical activities as required.
- Maintain good relationship with Government and non-Government partners working on Nutrition in the States.
- Perform other duties and tasks as determined by the STEER COP, including assisting HES Manager and other Technical Leads on the project.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s child protection policies; comply strictly to security procedures and other staff policies.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Experience in HES interventions
- Experience working with an international NGO a plus
- Interest in development issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in team environment
- Fluency in English and Hausa
- Experience working across multiple sub agreements and partners; ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic multi-disciplinary project.
- A degree or equivalent work experience in the field of agriculture, economics, or development
- Strong computer skills required, especially the ability to work comfortably in the MS office package
- Ability to work independently and manage various projects in a team setting with limited supervision
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.