NTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Head of Mission
Locations: Nigeria - 70% Maiduguri (Maiduguri based)/30% Abuja - plus regular visits on on field offices in Borno State
Starting Date: 01/02/2019
Contract Duration: 12 months
Reporting to: West Africa Regional Director
Supervision of: About 15 international staff and 50 Local staff
General Context of the Project
- Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled north eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing more than 6 projects addressing critical gaps in health and nutrition, WASH, Protection, Food Security, Shelter, Camp Coordination and Camp Management services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in of Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Damasak, Kukawa, Magumeri, Jere-MMC Local Government Area (LGA), Borno State, Nigeria.
General Purpose of the Position
- The Head of Mission legally and officially represents the Organization in Nigeria - granted with powers conferred by proxy by the Secretary General upon appointment to the post - and acts under the supervision of the Regional Director and in accordance with its specific directions
- S/he is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the country program on the basis of defined strategies and indications.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
The Head of Mission represents the Organization and is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the country program on the basis of defined strategies and indications. The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:
Communication and Representation:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities
- Monitor donor’s priorities and intervention strategies in the country as well as to map and approach new donors.
Planning and Implementation:
- Define country priorities based on context and needs analyses; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new interventions
- Assess, promote and submit new projects, following the procedures defined and promoting a spirit of participation among beneficiaries at all management stages, ensuring the transparency of the intervention
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the country operations - and all related administrative, financial, human resources, logistics and security aspects - ensuring timely and quality assistance delivery, as well as cost efficiency and accountability, in compliance with INTERSOS and donors guidelines, regulations and procedures.
Information and Reporting:
- Continuously assess, analyse and evaluate the impact of the country operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention.
- Define the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts.
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance
- To ensure the respect for the values, Code of Ethics and Organization Management and Control Model of INTERSOS within the mission
- Ensure personnel compliance with procedures foreseen by INTERSOS’ Organization Management and Control Model
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings.
- Validation of all the mission security plans (Capital and projects)
- Interaction on the Country security issues with HQ (Security Referent) and relevant actors
- Hold final responsibility for any decision concerning security.
- University Degree in Social Sciences, Political Silence, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related fields.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience as head of Mission or other management/coordination positions in humanitarian/development contexts
- Proven experience in management of UN, USAID and ECHO funds
- Proven experience in management of large staff teams and good leadership
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and in writing).
- Proficient knowledge of English is required
- French/Italian are an asset
- Proactive attitude
- Ability to work in insecure remote contexts and to adapt to basic living conditions in remote/isolated areas.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to INTERSOS career website on www.intersos.org to apply