The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
SVN No.: SVN2018/121
Organizational Unit: Media & Communications
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) of IOM Nigeria, and under direct supervision of the Programme Officers (Media & Communications) in the mission, the successful candidate will provide specialized assistance in the production and delivery of information communications products for the mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
S/he will perform the following functions:
- Manage and update the content of all projects on the official website and other social media accounts of the mission. Research, compile and present basic information for use in the preparation and production of communications products/services for all projects in the mission.
- Strengthen relationships with media professionals by drafting and disseminating press materials such as media advisories and embargoed press briefing notes to our media distribution list, as well as organize events with IOM senior management to brief media outlets on latest developments.
- Draft social media messages for Twitter and Facebook and compile materials for social media packages, including but not limited to sample messages, hashtags, photos, videos and digital cards to showcase flagship projects and campaigns.
- Conduct site visits to various field locations to capture footage of IOM activities and testimonies of beneficiaries, as well as edit videos from this footage using Adobe Premiere or Final Cut software.
- Develop visibility materials such as info sheets, quarterly newsletters, situation reports and other materials to highlight projects and thematic areas of the Mission.
- Provide recommendations and training to staff for the appropriate medium of communication for the project activities.
- Coordinate implementation activities with IOM’s implementing project partners.
- Assist the National Project Officer as well as Programme Officers in organizing Project Management Committee (PMC) and Sector Policy Review Committee (SPRC) meetings.
- Disseminate approved project information materials through the appropriate channels.
- Assist the National Project Officer in the preparation of annual/interim reports for the project donors.
- Coordinate with relevant units and consolidate quarterly regional reports.
- Participate in coordination meetings with government counterparts, NGOs and other stakeholders in close coordination with the supervisor.
- Draft human-interest stories about projects’ achievements for global dissemination via Medium, Shorthand and IOM Blog.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed University Degree from an accredited institution in International Relations, Social Science, Economics, Law, Humanitarian affairs or related field;
- Minimum six years (four years for degree Holder) experience in a communication, media engagement field that includes written submissions of standard befitting an international organization is essential.
- Experience of supporting all aspects of project management and familiarity with international standards and EU regulations a plus.
- Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general migration related issues;
- Strong planning, coordination and IT skills.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to "Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)"and with a subject line "SVN2018.116 Lagos. Project Assistant (MM/CT) G4".
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted