Solidaridad West Africa (SWA) is a not-for-profit organisation that supports the sustainable development of production systems in West Africa. We play a catalytic role by partnering with private sector companies and other stakeholders to foster the development of socially responsible, ecologically sound and profitable supply chains. Our activities in West Africa are focused on cocoa, gold, oil palm, cotton, soy and other commodities.
The Solidaridad regional office is based in Accra, Ghana and currently has programmes and operations in Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Liberia and Nigeria.
The Solidaridad Nigeria Country Program seeks to recruit highly qualified and motivated staff in the capacity below:
- The position would be based in one of the towns/cities in the oil palm belt in Nigeria.
- The Agronomist will coordinate, implement and monitor agronomic aspects of Solidarid's projects; a (support for innovation and demonstration of best practices). The key task will be setting up, maintaining, monitoring and reporting on a series of BMP field demonstrations with participating farms and businesses.
- The position reports to the Programme Manager.
Professional Advising and Consulting:
- Participates in identifying needs for external support and advice, elaborates on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach to managing the assigned programme or project.
- Monitors project progress, reviews reports and documents concerning the progress of collaborative programs determines bottlenecks and recommends alternative courses of management action to the Program Manager.
Networking and Cooperation:
- Responsible for maintaining relationships with farmers and Institutions
- Co-operates with and ensures regular contacts and dialogues: does PR work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental bodies and persons within the project/ programme environment as well as with other projects in order to enhance and maintain good working relationships
Management and Coordination Tasks:
- Responsible for coordinating all BMP activities (fIeld visits, farmer sensitization, training, data collection and collation, reporting, etc.) at the BMP demonstration sites.
- Coordinates and prioritises relevant project activities at the local level in cooperation with the partners, as well as in organizational preparation and in the implementation of these activities
- Training farmers and plantation staff in good agronomic practices
Knowlede, Skills & Abilities
- University Degree in Agricultural Science, Agricultural Business, or relevant subject.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in similar role
- Experience in working with policy makers, researchers, consultants and knowledge brokers in International Cooperation
- Experience in facilitating community development activities
- Superior presentation and facilitation skills
- Capable of working in a dynamic, inter cultural, multi stakeholder setting
- Excellent communication skills with ability to produce professional reports in English.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Applications with updated Resume to: email@example.com Please indicate the position in the subject line.
- High priority would be given to qualified female applicants
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.