INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Livelihood Project Manager
Duty Station: Maiduguri – Borno – North East Nigeria (with 70% field visit)
Starting date: 1stOctober2018
Duration of contract: 3 month (Extendable)
Reporting to: Livelihood Project Manager (Expatriate)
Dependents: LivelihoodField Coordinators / Snr Livelihood Officer /other project positions
General context of the project
The Boko Haram armed opposition insurgency started in 2009 and Maiduguri was the epicentre of the armed conflict. The armed conflict later spread to all twenty-seven (27) Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Borno State, North East Nigeria. The conflict took an international dimension as it spread to the neighbouring countries of Cameroun, Niger and Chad, resulting in the displacement of millions of people across all four frontiers. The Armed Opposition Group (AOG) has been killing people in both rural and urban centres in their quest to form a hairline Islamic State in the north east of Nigeria. A high number of towns and cities have been burned and destroyed. Social services and amenities have also been destroyed and are now non-existent. Agricultural activities which used to be the source of food security and livelihoods among the rural communities of the North East are no longer existent. Joint military operations by Cameroun, Nigeria, Chad and Niger have resulted in the liberation of 15 LGAs.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Livelihood PM should provide overall supervision to the activities implemented within the framework of the project, ensuring that they are delivered following the proposal text agreed upon with the donor, and that these activities are achieving timely results under direct supervision of Livelihood Project Manager (expatriate). During absence of Livelihood Project Manager (expatriate), position will be wholly accountable for project under direct supervision of Food Security & Livelihood Coordinator/ Head of Base.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities, donors’ program staff during field visitsand other key stakeholders for a coordinated implementation of project activities;
- Line management for the Livelihood Project staff including Field Coordinators including gender main streaming and ensuring protection protocols are in-line with project;
- Lead in Planning, Coordinating, Monitoring and Reporting all INTERSOS’s field Livelihood-related activities, including Natural Resource Management, Crop Production, Income Generation activities, Small scale Agricultural Marketing Strategy, Post-Harvest Management, Poultry Farming, Food for Assets activities etc.
- Coordinate, supervise and manageLivelihood Projects implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals including strategies and donor requirements (And any advice by management);
- Provide primary level information / Assessment / targeting / Analysis to elaborate project concept notes and proposals for submission to Livelihood Project Manager (expatriate);
- Ensure adherence to INTERSOS policies, guidance and procedures at field level;
- Provide Livelihood activitiesreports to the Livelihood Project Manager (expatriate) as required;
- Provide regular progress reports including draft PAT to the Livelihood Project Manager (expatriate);
- Manage Livelihood project budget on quarterly and monthly bases and provide feedback on PN;
- Implement technical direction for the livelihood project and ensure high technical quality of project;
- Ensure that the project targets the beneficiaries that aremost vulnerableand most in need;
- Initiate and participate in the development of relevant Livelihood projects, including monitoring, PDMs / assessment / verification process;
- Ensure to identify capacity building gaps of project staff and transfer of key skills through different arrangements;
- Implement other tasks as might be required with relation to the INTERSOS Country Program in Nigeria.
- B.Sc.Degree in Agricultural Science / Engineering, Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine or international development
- Further qualification in tropical agriculture or related subject is preferred
- Minimum 7 years of experience on national level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context;
- Experience in working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Technical Livelihood expertise (Natural Resources Management, Crop Production, Water & Irrigation Management, Poultry Production, Animal breeding & brooding, Post-Harvest Management, SAMS and WFP Food for Assets program);
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Experience in leadership and problem solving;
- Fluency in English, both written and oral including local language ad advantage;
- Capacity to adapt to basic living conditions;
- Ability to put up with job pressure;
- Ability to deliver high quality work within tight deadlines;
- Strong negotiation skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to INTERSOS career website on docs.google.com to apply