The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Maiduguri, Port Harcourt and Abuja Sub Delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy below.
Hospital Physician Generalist
- Conducts ward rounds regularly with Mobile Surgeons and local doctors; participates in patient assessments, treatment plans and documentation.
- Assesses the organization, activities and performance of the surgical department.
- Participates in setting up surgical/clinical procedures and treatment protocols.
- Supervises the ER and Wards where relevant, through on call shifts.
- Ensures rational prescription practices in accordance with valid national and international protocols/standards.
- Contributes to preparing orders of medical supplies and identifies new needs for drugs and medical equipment in line with pathologies encountered, guidelines and standards.
- Contributes to ensuring respect for universal hygiene standards.
- Implements teaching programmes to develop the skills of local staff.
- Analyses Hospital statistics and contributes to reporting.
- Participates in mass casualty management and conduct triage exercises involving local hospital staff during and after mass casualty incident.
- In the event of an emergency deployment of the mobile surgical team, be prepared to work in a more substitutive
- model actually not only assisting local surgeons in their tasks but actively taking part in the management of casualties (triage, patient assessment, surgery, postoperative care)
- Attends regular sub-delegation and hospital team meetings.
- University degree in Medicine and a valid license to practice in Nigeria. Postgraduate qualification in orthopedic surgery a strong asset.
- Computer literacy.
- Fluent command of English (both written and oral).
- Hausa, Arabic, or Kanuri an asset
- Between 3-5 years of professional clinical experience.
- Minimum 2 years of international humanitarian experience, including in delivery of hospital care.
- Experience in low-resource settings and sound knowledge of protocols and guidelines relevant to these contexts.
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop local staff to achieve common objectives
- Shows judgment abilities to deal with special cases and propose solutions
Method of Application
How to apply
Send Curriculum vitae, cover letter and contact details of three referees to ABJ_Recruitment_Services@icrc.org
Clearly indicate “the job title and Location as the subject of your application (Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated)
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- NYSC status
The deadline for the submission of applications will be 26.10.2018, 16:30 h. late application will not be considered
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively
humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to
provide them with assistance.
For more information about the ICRC, please visit our website www.icrc.org