If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
National Human Rights Officer, SB4/3 (equivalent to NOB grade)
Job ID: 17974
Location: Makurdi - Benue and Nasarawa (Multiple duty stations including Middle Belt)
Agency: Office High Commissioner for Human Rights
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: 6 months
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, under the supervision of the Senior Human Rights Adviser, the National Human Rights Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Researches, collects, verifies, analyses information relevant to the observance of international human rights and humanitarian law in the mission area;
- Supports and advises UN and humanitarian actors in mission area on protection activities and compliance with human rights, and where appropriate, relevant authorities, including on the implementation of outcomes of UN human rights mechanisms;
- Conducts investigations of abuses and violations of human rights and international humanitarian law;
- Ensures the timely entry of accurate and verified human rights cases in an established database in compliance with established standards;
- Integrates UN-developed methodology into human rights monitoring, reporting and investigation activities and supports the operational aspects of planning and implementing of monitoring and investigation activities;
- Writes, reviews, coordinates, if needed, and ensures the timely delivery of a variety of reports, briefings and other types of communications in compliance with established standards and in particular with respect to reporting on human rights situation;
- Liaises with other UN actors present in the mission area for the collection and verification of information on the human rights situation and informs on human rights considerations that should be taken into account by other actors, including those delivering humanitarian response or coordinating emergency preparedness and response activities, as well as by the UN mission in respect of future operations;
- Advocates with relevant authorities and other influential actors to stop or prevent human rights violations, seeks remedial action by the authorities to prevent similar violations from occurring in the future;
- Contributes to the integration of gender perspectives/considerations and specific women/girls’ rights issues in all activities;
- Ensures cooperation and appropriate communication with the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in the sharing of human rights information and with respect to the project implementation;
- Supports more senior staff and/or team leaders in staffing, planning and budgeting as required;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Requirements, Skills and Experience
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Social Sciences or in a related area.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in assigned geographic locations in conflict situations in the area of human rights and humanitarian response, including in the causes and resolution of human rights conflicts in accordance with international standards.
- Previous experience in humanitarian interventions, human rights monitoring, investigations and reporting as well as programme management is required
- Fluency in English (both oral and written), is required. Knowledge of local language is an advantage.
- Proven sensitivity to the political and social environment and ability to adjust behaviours accordingly;
- In-depth knowledge of human rights principles, international mechanisms and related concepts, including protection of civilians, transitional justice, humanitarian action, DDR, legislative and rule of law reforms, gender mainstreaming and conflict-related sexual violence;
- Good knowledge of institutional mandates, organizational policies, and methodologies relating to human rights;
- Capacity to monitor and coordinate human rights-related matters with other UN, NGO, state and/or government stakeholders and to advocate for the respect and integration of human rights in various fora;
- Good analytical and research skills, including the ability to gather, validate, evaluate and integrate relevant human rights information from a variety of sources, to assess their impact and to provide recommendations to redress situations;
- Commitment to seek new and improved methods of work for accomplishing the work of the human rights component;
- Ability to relate to and integrate human rights issues and perspectives into other fields, including humanitarian action, development, rule of law, legislation reforms and election support, to human rights issues and activities and vice versa;
- Good knowledge of planning, implementation, coordination and evaluation of human rights capacity development initiatives for multiple stakeholders;
- Capacity to serve as internal resource person, share knowledge and to deliver training for colleagues and external stakeholders alike;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning And Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Keeps abreast of available technology;
- Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office;
- Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.