About the Award
The Allianz Climate Risk Research Award supports scientific research that improves our understanding of climate change-related risks. The compendium is a compilation of selected essays from participants of the 2019 edition.
The Allianz Climate Risk Research Award supports scientific research that improves our understanding of climate change-related risks. The 2020 Award focuses on how science can help insurers deal with extreme weather and climate risks.
The Award is intended to support researchers whose research focuses on:
- Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change
- Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions
PhD students who are in the final stages of their research and postdoctoral researchers who have recently finished their research, are invited to apply. We welcome individual applications from the fields of natural and social sciences.
Four finalists will receive a monetary award and will be invited to an Award ceremony at Allianz Headquarters in Munich on the 27-28th of October 2020 to present their findings and take part in an interactive discussion with renowned experts from both industry and academia.
As part of the application process, applicants must submit a two-page non-technical essay based on their research. Allianz will publish the ten best essays in a compendium.
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies
- Impact: Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodology
- A jury of experts, drawn from industry and academic, select the recipients.
- Application form, signed declaration form, essay based on research and letter of recommendation must be sent by 31 August 2020
- University students currently pursuing either a PhD degree or a post-doc, as well as recent PhD graduates or recent post-doc graduates. (Graduation/defense of final research to obtain title should not be more than two years before the time of the application)
- Research applicable to focus and topic of Award
- Completed application form
- Supporting documents consists of:
- Two-page non-technical essay based on their research
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate's academic mentor
- Filled and signed declaration form
- We welcome the four finalists to travel to Munich-Germany for the Award's event. Allianz Re will cover all travel costs (please refer to FAQ)
- Eagerness to be part of internal and external communication around the Award (e.g. interviews)
During the event, the four finalists receive:
- Monetary award:
EUR 7.000 First finalist
EUR 5.000 Second finalist
EUR 3.000 Third finalist
EUR 2.000 Fourth finalist
- Invitation for a one-day Award event in Munich with all costs covered
- Exposure of the finalists’ research projects on the website allianz.com
- Exclusive insights into the insurance industry’s work on climate change and extreme weather events
- Participation in a discussion round with the Award’s jury, experts and other guests from Allianz Group and academia.
Applications must be received by 31 August 2020
Read More About this Award on the Allianz Website Via https://www.allianz.com/en/sustainability/low-carbon-economy/climate-risk-research-award.html#tabpar_8718_1Tab
Application Form https://www.allianz.com/content/dam/onemarketing/azcom/Allianz_com/responsibility/documents/2020_05_20_ACRRA_ApplicationForm_Final.pdf